Re: Romenna

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
      >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
      >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
      Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
      in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.

      Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
      of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
      Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
      Companion_?

      -Merlin DeTardo
    • Margaret Dean
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
        Merlin DeTardo wrote:

        > >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
        > >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
        > Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
        > in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.
        >
        > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
        > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
        > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
        > Companion_?

        Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
        of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
        (=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
        them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
        on my mailing list.

        ...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
        produce something worthy of citation.

        --Margaret Dean
        <margdean@...>
      • Cristina A. Montes
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:

          > Kim Jaudon wrote:
          > >
          > > I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city
          > > despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the
          > > Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be
          > > great if there was an existing group nearby.
          > >
          > > I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however,
          > > if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing
          > > to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...
          > > though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this
          > > point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same
          > > desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would
          > > be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Kim, I am here to tell you that a sufficiently determined person
          > can start and maintain a discussion group even with a constantly
          > shifting membership. A few of the folks on this list may
          > remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
          > Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
          > in 1987 just before I got married. Of course, I lived in the New
          > York City area at that time, and already had some acquaintance in
          > the fan community there. But on the debit side, I didn't have
          > the Internet then, and had to do all the correspondence,
          > newsletters, etc. on paper.

          Our local Philippine Tolkien Society started out as a yahoogroup.
          Members meet sometimes in real life, and we do participate in the
          annual Sci-Fi and Fantasy Convention, but we still have a lot of
          discussions online. We recently had an online discussion of "The
          Hobbit".
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
            Margaret wrote:

            > > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
            > > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
            > > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
            > > Companion_?
            >
            >Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
            >of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
            >(=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
            >them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
            >on my mailing list.
            >
            >...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
            >produce something worthy of citation.

            We also cited one of the issues in our _Tolkien Companion and Guide_.
            Christina had the run, which we found very useful.

            Wayne