Re: [mythsoc] Starting a Group (was: new member introducing herself)

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
      -----Original Message-----
      From: margdean@...
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 9:24 PM
      Subject: [mythsoc] Starting a Group (was: new member introducing herself)

      A few of the folks on this list may
      remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
      Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
      in 1987 just before I got married. <<

      Well do I remember it. ;-) Alexei

      <<

    • Merlin DeTardo
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
        >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
        >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
        Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
        in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.

        Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
        of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
        Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
        Companion_?

        -Merlin DeTardo
      • Margaret Dean
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
          Merlin DeTardo wrote:

          > >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
          > >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
          > Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
          > in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.
          >
          > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
          > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
          > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
          > Companion_?

          Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
          of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
          (=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
          them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
          on my mailing list.

          ...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
          produce something worthy of citation.

          --Margaret Dean
          <margdean@...>
        • Cristina A. Montes
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17, 2007
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:

            > Kim Jaudon wrote:
            > >
            > > I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city
            > > despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the
            > > Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be
            > > great if there was an existing group nearby.
            > >
            > > I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however,
            > > if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing
            > > to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...
            > > though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this
            > > point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same
            > > desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would
            > > be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Kim, I am here to tell you that a sufficiently determined person
            > can start and maintain a discussion group even with a constantly
            > shifting membership. A few of the folks on this list may
            > remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
            > Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
            > in 1987 just before I got married. Of course, I lived in the New
            > York City area at that time, and already had some acquaintance in
            > the fan community there. But on the debit side, I didn't have
            > the Internet then, and had to do all the correspondence,
            > newsletters, etc. on paper.

            Our local Philippine Tolkien Society started out as a yahoogroup.
            Members meet sometimes in real life, and we do participate in the
            annual Sci-Fi and Fantasy Convention, but we still have a lot of
            discussions online. We recently had an online discussion of "The
            Hobbit".
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6 7:00 PM
              Margaret wrote:

              > > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
              > > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
              > > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
              > > Companion_?
              >
              >Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
              >of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
              >(=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
              >them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
              >on my mailing list.
              >
              >...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
              >produce something worthy of citation.

              We also cited one of the issues in our _Tolkien Companion and Guide_.
              Christina had the run, which we found very useful.

              Wayne