Starting a Group (was: new member introducing herself)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 17 6:24 PM
      Kim Jaudon wrote:

      > I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city
      > despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the
      > Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be
      > great if there was an existing group nearby.
      >
      > I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however,
      > if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing
      > to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...
      > though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this
      > point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same
      > desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would
      > be greatly appreciated.

      Kim, I am here to tell you that a sufficiently determined person
      can start and maintain a discussion group even with a constantly
      shifting membership. A few of the folks on this list may
      remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
      Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
      in 1987 just before I got married. Of course, I lived in the New
      York City area at that time, and already had some acquaintance in
      the fan community there. But on the debit side, I didn't have
      the Internet then, and had to do all the correspondence,
      newsletters, etc. on paper.

      Trust me, you don't need knowledge to start a group. A strong
      interest and a good dollop of cussedness is all it takes, to get
      out there, find and contact people, and then remind them and
      remind them and remind them. With even a few interested people
      and a book they all love, the actual discussion probably won't
      take much prompting. (Hey, even if they all =hated= the book
      chosen for that month, you can have a jolly time cutting it to
      pieces! :) )

      Romenna, during its run, stuck exclusively to Tolkien: we
      started with The Silmarillion (keep in mind that the History of
      Middle-earth series didn't start coming out until 1983), reading
      a chapter or two per meeting, then continued through The Hobbit
      and The Lord of the Rings. As I recall, we included relevant
      sections of Unfinished Tales wherever they fit into the
      chronology, but I may or may not be remembering correctly -- it's
      been 20+ years, after all! :) We met mostly in members' homes,
      though there was at least one summer meeting in a park, and
      refreshments were provided by everybody. The date and time for
      each meeting was decided at the previous one, and then I'd send
      out a mailing with date, time, place, directions, and a report of
      the previous meeting.

      Our membership fluctuated wildly, to say the least. I think
      there was maybe one other person besides me who attended all (or
      at least most) of the meetings. Numbers varied from three or
      four to maybe a dozen people. I'm not sure how many you'd get if
      you totted up all the individuals who attended at least one
      meeting, and that's not even counting the people who were on my
      mailing list who never =did= make it to a meeting. But as I say,
      we kept it going for five years and all the way through the
      "Matter of Middle-earth" as it stood at the time. And had a lot
      of fun doing it, I might add!

      So go for it! And let us know how you do.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 17 7:07 PM
        remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
        Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
        in 1987 just before I got married. <<

        Well do I remember it. ;-) Alexei

        <<

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 17 7:51 PM
          >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
          >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
          Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
          in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.

          Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
          of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
          Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
          Companion_?

          -Merlin DeTardo
        • Margaret Dean
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17 9:03 PM
            Merlin DeTardo wrote:

            > >--- Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:
            > >A few of the folks on this list may remember that I did it with a
            > Tolkien discussion group called Romenna for about five years, starting
            > in 1981 or '82 and ending in 1987 just before I got married.
            >
            > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
            > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
            > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
            > Companion_?

            Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
            of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
            (=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
            them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
            on my mailing list.

            ...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
            produce something worthy of citation.

            --Margaret Dean
            <margdean@...>
          • Cristina A. Montes
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17 11:50 PM
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Margaret Dean <margdean@...> wrote:

              > Kim Jaudon wrote:
              > >
              > > I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city
              > > despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the
              > > Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be
              > > great if there was an existing group nearby.
              > >
              > > I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however,
              > > if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing
              > > to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...
              > > though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this
              > > point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same
              > > desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would
              > > be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Kim, I am here to tell you that a sufficiently determined person
              > can start and maintain a discussion group even with a constantly
              > shifting membership. A few of the folks on this list may
              > remember that I did it with a Tolkien discussion group called
              > Romenna for about five years, starting in 1981 or '82 and ending
              > in 1987 just before I got married. Of course, I lived in the New
              > York City area at that time, and already had some acquaintance in
              > the fan community there. But on the debit side, I didn't have
              > the Internet then, and had to do all the correspondence,
              > newsletters, etc. on paper.

              Our local Philippine Tolkien Society started out as a yahoogroup.
              Members meet sometimes in real life, and we do participate in the
              annual Sci-Fi and Fantasy Convention, but we still have a lot of
              discussions online. We recently had an online discussion of "The
              Hobbit".
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
                Margaret wrote:

                > > Ah! Is that the source of the _Romenna Meeting Report_, seven issues
                > > of which (dating from 12 May 1985 to 29 March 1987) are quoted in
                > > Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's _The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's
                > > Companion_?
                >
                >Are they really? :) Yes, I expect so. I habitually sent copies
                >of the meeting reports to a couple of Tolkien publications
                >(=Beyond Bree= and =Rivendell Review= for example), where some of
                >them were printed; and/or Wayne or Christina may well have been
                >on my mailing list.
                >
                >...See? With luck and persistence, a discussion group may even
                >produce something worthy of citation.

                We also cited one of the issues in our _Tolkien Companion and Guide_.
                Christina had the run, which we found very useful.

                Wayne