Re: new member introducing herself

  • Cristina A. Montes
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
      > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
      the
      > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
      > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
      > including information in the back about how to contact the
      various
      > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
      had
      > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
      one
      > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
      what
      > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
      > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
      > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
      > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
      an
      > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
      point.
      > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
      is
      > the way to go.
      > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
      > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
      Lewis
      > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
      Lewis's
      > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
      > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
      and
      > much more.
      > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
      > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
      INTERRUPTED
      > MUSIC is also superb.

      Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
      Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
      tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
      Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
      there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
      various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
      have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
      don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
      check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
      recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
      coveting!
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
        Cristina wrote:

        >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
        >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
        >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
        >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
        >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
        >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
        >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
        >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

        Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
        later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
        _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
        the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
        under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
        Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
        "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
        in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
        1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
        term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
        (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
        Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
        Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
        Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
        Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
        1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
        the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
        latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
        Grotta's book.

        Wayne

      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
          Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

          > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
          Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
          > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
          > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
          Kurska. But I'll
          > check again.

          There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
          originally published in 1976, the author called
          himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
          some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
            At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

            >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
            >later editions of his book have been published.

            Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
            editions Grotta.

            It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
            story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
            book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
            since.

            Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
            there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
            But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
            call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
            either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
            it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
            are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
            true.

            The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
            1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
            Inklings)
            2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
            3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
            4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

            That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
            have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

            David Bratman
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
              David wrote:

              >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
              >editions Grotta.

              Yes, of course.

              >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
              >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
              >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
              >since.

              It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

              Wayne

            • Kim Jaudon
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                Thanks!

                Kim Jaudon

                David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                >later editions of his book have been published.

                Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                editions Grotta.

                It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                since.

                Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                true.

                The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                Inklings)
                2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                David Bratman

              • Bonnie Callahan
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                  Hi to Kim & all of you:

                  For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                  have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                  back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                  I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                  consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                  in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                  Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                  anyone in such efforts!

                  I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                  branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                  minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                  meetings of the Mythsoc.

                  Here's to you all!

                  Cheers,
                  Bonnie Callahan
                  *********

                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                    In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                    kim4fsu@... writes:

                    I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                    Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                    good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                    recommendation about purchasing it?

                    Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                    presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                    several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                    what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                      In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                      sacnoth@... writes:

                      Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                      harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                      Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                      including information in the back about how to contact the various
                      Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                      access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                      book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                      Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                      book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                      Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                    • Sara Ciborski
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                        Dear Kim,
                        If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                        good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                        the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                        these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                        of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                        Sara Ciborski

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                          kim4fsu@... writes:

                          Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                          to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                          that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                          Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                          Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                        • Kim Jaudon
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                            I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                            I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however, if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

                            Thanks so much!

                            Kim

                            kim4fsu@... writes:

                            Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                            to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                            that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                            Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                            Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                          • David Emerson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                              >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                              Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                              Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                              emerdavid

                              PeoplePC Online
                              A better way to Internet
                              http://www.peoplepc.com
                            • alexeik@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                kim4fsu@... writes:

                                I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                recommendation about purchasing it?

                                Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                Wendell Wagner <<
                                I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei