Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000
      In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      alexeik@... writes:

      << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
      Beauty,
      not Beauty and the Beast. >>
      Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
      delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
      Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
      It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

      Lizzie
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2000
        In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
        me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

        Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
        from? Another new one on me.

        Lizzie, doing a doubletake
      • David Lenander
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
          The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
          McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
          are a number of variations retold in various places.

          ERATRIANO@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          > bernip@... writes:
          >
          > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
          > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
          >
          > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
          > from? Another new one on me.
          >
          > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

          > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

          David Lenander,

        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
            In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

            <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

            It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
            Alexei
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
              >From: ERATRIANO@...

              >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              >bernip@... writes:
              >
              ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
              > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
              >
              >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
              >from? Another new one on me.
              >
              >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

              Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
              if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

              Berni
            • Madame K
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 12, 2000
                Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                rewarding.

                Mary Jo