Re: [mythsoc] Re: new member introducing herself

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
      In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      solicitr@... writes:

      You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
      Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
      read in Grotta's collection of errors and
      fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      Companion and Guide.

      You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
      It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
      mistakes in it are?

      http://www.aol.com

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
        Welcome to the list, Cristina!

        On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
        > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
        > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
        >
        > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

        Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
        harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
        Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
        including information in the back about how to contact the various
        Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
        access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
        book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
        he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
        hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
        also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
        think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
        American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
        So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
        the way to go.
        Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
        enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
        and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
        diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
        "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
        much more.
        One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
        Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
        MUSIC is also superb.

        --JDR

        current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
      • Cristina A. Montes
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
          > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
          the
          > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
          > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
          > including information in the back about how to contact the
          various
          > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
          had
          > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
          one
          > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
          what
          > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
          > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
          > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
          > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
          an
          > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
          point.
          > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
          is
          > the way to go.
          > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
          > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
          Lewis
          > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
          Lewis's
          > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
          > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
          and
          > much more.
          > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
          > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
          INTERRUPTED
          > MUSIC is also superb.

          Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
          Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
          tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
          Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
          there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
          various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
          have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
          don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
          check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
          recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
          coveting!
        • Wayne G. Hammond
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
            Cristina wrote:

            >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
            >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
            >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
            >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
            >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
            >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
            >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
            >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

            Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
            later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
            _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
            the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
            under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
            Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
            "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
            in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
            1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
            term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
            (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
            Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
            Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
            Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
            Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
            1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
            the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
            latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
            Grotta's book.

            Wayne

          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
              Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

              > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
              Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
              > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
              > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
              Kurska. But I'll
              > check again.

              There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
              originally published in 1976, the author called
              himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
              some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                >later editions of his book have been published.

                Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                editions Grotta.

                It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                since.

                Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                true.

                The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                Inklings)
                2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                David Bratman
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                  David wrote:

                  >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                  >editions Grotta.

                  Yes, of course.

                  >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                  >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                  >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                  >since.

                  It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                  Wayne

                • Kim Jaudon
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                    Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                    I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                    I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                    Thanks!

                    Kim Jaudon

                    David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                    At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                    >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                    >later editions of his book have been published.

                    Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                    editions Grotta.

                    It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                    story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                    book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                    since.

                    Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                    there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                    But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                    call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                    either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                    it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                    are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                    true.

                    The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                    1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                    Inklings)
                    2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                    3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                    4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                    That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                    have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                    David Bratman

                  • Bonnie Callahan
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                      Hi to Kim & all of you:

                      For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                      have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                      back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                      I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                      consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                      in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                      Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                      anyone in such efforts!

                      I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                      branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                      minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                      meetings of the Mythsoc.

                      Here's to you all!

                      Cheers,
                      Bonnie Callahan
                      *********

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                        In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                        kim4fsu@... writes:

                        I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                        Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                        good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                        recommendation about purchasing it?

                        Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                        presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                        several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                        what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                          In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          sacnoth@... writes:

                          Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                          harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                          Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                          including information in the back about how to contact the various
                          Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                          access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                          book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                          Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                          book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                          Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                        • Sara Ciborski
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                            Dear Kim,
                            If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                            good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                            the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                            these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                            of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                            Sara Ciborski

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                              kim4fsu@... writes:

                              Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                              to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                              that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                              Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                              Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                            • Kim Jaudon
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however, if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

                                Thanks so much!

                                Kim

                                kim4fsu@... writes:

                                Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                              • David Emerson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                  >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                  Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                  Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                  emerdavid

                                  PeoplePC Online
                                  A better way to Internet
                                  http://www.peoplepc.com
                                • alexeik@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    kim4fsu@... writes:

                                    I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                    Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                    good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                    recommendation about purchasing it?

                                    Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                    presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                    several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                    what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                    Wendell Wagner <<
                                    I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei