Re: new member introducing herself

  • Cristina A. Montes
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007

      > Welcome, Cristina.
      >
      > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
      > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
      > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
      > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      > >Companion and Guide.
      >
      > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
      MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
      there with it.

      Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
      titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

      I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
        In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        solicitr@... writes:

        You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
        Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
        read in Grotta's collection of errors and
        fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
        collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
        are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
        there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
        Companion and Guide.

        You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
        It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
        mistakes in it are?

        http://www.aol.com

      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
          Welcome to the list, Cristina!

          On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
          > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
          > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
          >
          > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

          Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
          harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
          Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
          including information in the back about how to contact the various
          Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
          access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
          book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
          he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
          hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
          also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
          think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
          American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
          So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
          the way to go.
          Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
          enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
          and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
          diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
          "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
          much more.
          One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
          Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
          MUSIC is also superb.

          --JDR

          current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
        • Cristina A. Montes
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
            > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
            the
            > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
            > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
            > including information in the back about how to contact the
            various
            > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
            had
            > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
            one
            > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
            what
            > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
            > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
            > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
            > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
            an
            > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
            point.
            > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
            is
            > the way to go.
            > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
            > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
            Lewis
            > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
            Lewis's
            > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
            > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
            and
            > much more.
            > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
            > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
            INTERRUPTED
            > MUSIC is also superb.

            Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
            Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
            tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
            Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
            there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
            various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
            have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
            don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
            check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
            recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
            coveting!
          • Wayne G. Hammond
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
              Cristina wrote:

              >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
              >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
              >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
              >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
              >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
              >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
              >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
              >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

              Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
              later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
              _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
              the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
              under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
              Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
              "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
              in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
              1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
              term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
              (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
              Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
              Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
              Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
              Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
              1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
              the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
              latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
              Grotta's book.

              Wayne

            • William Cloud Hicklin
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                Kurska. But I'll
                > check again.

                There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                originally published in 1976, the author called
                himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                  At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                  >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                  >later editions of his book have been published.

                  Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                  editions Grotta.

                  It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                  story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                  book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                  since.

                  Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                  there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                  But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                  call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                  either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                  it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                  are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                  true.

                  The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                  1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                  Inklings)
                  2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                  3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                  4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                  That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                  have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                  David Bratman
                • Wayne G. Hammond
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                    David wrote:

                    >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                    >editions Grotta.

                    Yes, of course.

                    >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                    >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                    >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                    >since.

                    It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                    Wayne

                  • Kim Jaudon
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                      Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                      I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                      I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                      Thanks!

                      Kim Jaudon

                      David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                      At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                      >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                      >later editions of his book have been published.

                      Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                      editions Grotta.

                      It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                      story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                      book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                      since.

                      Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                      there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                      But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                      call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                      either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                      it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                      are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                      true.

                      The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                      1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                      Inklings)
                      2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                      3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                      4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                      That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                      have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                      David Bratman

                    • Bonnie Callahan
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                        Hi to Kim & all of you:

                        For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                        have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                        back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                        I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                        consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                        in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                        Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                        anyone in such efforts!

                        I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                        branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                        minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                        meetings of the Mythsoc.

                        Here's to you all!

                        Cheers,
                        Bonnie Callahan
                        *********

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                          In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                          kim4fsu@... writes:

                          I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                          Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                          good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                          recommendation about purchasing it?

                          Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                          presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                          several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                          what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                            In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            sacnoth@... writes:

                            Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                            harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                            Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                            including information in the back about how to contact the various
                            Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                            access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                            book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                            Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                            book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                            Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                          • Sara Ciborski
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                              Dear Kim,
                              If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                              good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                              the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                              these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                              of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                              Sara Ciborski

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                kim4fsu@... writes:

                                Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                              • Kim Jaudon
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                  I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                  I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however, if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

                                  Thanks so much!

                                  Kim

                                  kim4fsu@... writes:

                                  Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                  to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                  that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                  Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                  Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                • David Emerson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                    Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                    Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                    emerdavid

                                    PeoplePC Online
                                    A better way to Internet
                                    http://www.peoplepc.com
                                  • alexeik@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                      kim4fsu@... writes:

                                      I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                      Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                      good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                      recommendation about purchasing it?

                                      Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                      presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                      several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                      what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                      Wendell Wagner <<
                                      I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei