Re: [mythsoc] new member introducing herself

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
      Welcome to the List! Mae govannen! ---djb
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007

        > Welcome, Cristina.
        >
        > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
        > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
        > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
        > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
        > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
        > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
        > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
        > >Companion and Guide.
        >
        > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
        MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
        there with it.

        Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
        titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

        I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
          In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
          solicitr@... writes:

          You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
          Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
          read in Grotta's collection of errors and
          fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
          collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
          are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
          there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
          Companion and Guide.

          You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
          It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
          mistakes in it are?

          http://www.aol.com

        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
            Welcome to the list, Cristina!

            On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
            > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
            > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
            >
            > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

            Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
            harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
            Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
            including information in the back about how to contact the various
            Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
            access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
            book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
            he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
            hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
            also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
            think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
            American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
            So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
            the way to go.
            Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
            enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
            and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
            diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
            "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
            much more.
            One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
            Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
            MUSIC is also superb.

            --JDR

            current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
          • Cristina A. Montes
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
              > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
              the
              > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
              > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
              > including information in the back about how to contact the
              various
              > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
              had
              > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
              one
              > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
              what
              > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
              > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
              > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
              > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
              an
              > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
              point.
              > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
              is
              > the way to go.
              > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
              > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
              Lewis
              > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
              Lewis's
              > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
              > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
              and
              > much more.
              > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
              > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
              INTERRUPTED
              > MUSIC is also superb.

              Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
              Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
              tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
              Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
              there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
              various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
              have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
              don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
              check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
              recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
              coveting!
            • Wayne G. Hammond
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                Cristina wrote:

                >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

                Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
                _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
                the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
                under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
                Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
                "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
                in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
                1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
                term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
                (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
                Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
                Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
                Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
                Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
                1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
                the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
                latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
                Grotta's book.

                Wayne

              • William Cloud Hicklin
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                  --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                  Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                  > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                  Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                  > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                  > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                  Kurska. But I'll
                  > check again.

                  There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                  originally published in 1976, the author called
                  himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                  some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                    At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                    >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                    >later editions of his book have been published.

                    Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                    editions Grotta.

                    It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                    story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                    book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                    since.

                    Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                    there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                    But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                    call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                    either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                    it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                    are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                    true.

                    The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                    1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                    Inklings)
                    2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                    3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                    4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                    That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                    have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                    David Bratman
                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                      David wrote:

                      >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                      >editions Grotta.

                      Yes, of course.

                      >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                      >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                      >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                      >since.

                      It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                      Wayne

                    • Kim Jaudon
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                        Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                        I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                        I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                        Thanks!

                        Kim Jaudon

                        David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                        At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                        >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                        >later editions of his book have been published.

                        Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                        editions Grotta.

                        It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                        story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                        book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                        since.

                        Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                        there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                        But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                        call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                        either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                        it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                        are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                        true.

                        The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                        1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                        Inklings)
                        2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                        3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                        4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                        That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                        have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                        David Bratman

                      • Bonnie Callahan
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                          Hi to Kim & all of you:

                          For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                          have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                          back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                          I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                          consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                          in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                          Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                          anyone in such efforts!

                          I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                          branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                          minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                          meetings of the Mythsoc.

                          Here's to you all!

                          Cheers,
                          Bonnie Callahan
                          *********

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                            In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                            kim4fsu@... writes:

                            I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                            Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                            good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                            recommendation about purchasing it?

                            Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                            presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                            several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                            what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                              In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              sacnoth@... writes:

                              Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                              harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                              Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                              including information in the back about how to contact the various
                              Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                              access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                              book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                              Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                              book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                              Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                            • Sara Ciborski
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                Dear Kim,
                                If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                                good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                                the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                                these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                                of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                                Sara Ciborski

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                  kim4fsu@... writes:

                                  Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                  to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                  that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                  Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                  Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                • Kim Jaudon
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    I live in Des Moines, Iowa. It's actually quite a nice city despite the horrid weather. I couldn't find any groups on the Mythopoeic site (I recently joined that society). It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                    I assumed starting a group would be tough to do, however, if there's nothing in the area right now I'm more than willing to give it a go. I must admit to a certain..trepidation...though. I feel I have far more to learn than to offer at this point. Still, there may be others in the area with the same desires I have. Any help you folks are willing to give would be greatly appreciated.

                                    Thanks so much!

                                    Kim

                                    kim4fsu@... writes:

                                    Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                    to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                    that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                    Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                    Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                  • David Emerson
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                      >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                      Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                      Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                      emerdavid

                                      PeoplePC Online
                                      A better way to Internet
                                      http://www.peoplepc.com
                                    • alexeik@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                        kim4fsu@... writes:

                                        I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                        Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                        good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                        recommendation about purchasing it?

                                        Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                        presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                        several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                        what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                        Wendell Wagner <<
                                        I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei