Re: [mythsoc] Re: new member introducing herself

  • David Emerson
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
      Welcome, Cristina.

      >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
      >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
      >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
      >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      >Companion and Guide.

      All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up there with it.

      emerdavid

      PeoplePC Online
      A better way to Internet
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Diane Joy Baker
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
        Welcome to the List! Mae govannen! ---djb
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007

          > Welcome, Cristina.
          >
          > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
          > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
          > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
          > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
          > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
          > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
          > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
          > >Companion and Guide.
          >
          > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
          MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
          there with it.

          Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
          titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

          I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
            In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            solicitr@... writes:

            You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
            Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
            read in Grotta's collection of errors and
            fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
            collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
            are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
            there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
            Companion and Guide.

            You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
            It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
            mistakes in it are?

            http://www.aol.com

          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
              Welcome to the list, Cristina!

              On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
              > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
              > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
              >
              > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

              Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
              harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
              Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
              including information in the back about how to contact the various
              Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
              access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
              book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
              he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
              hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
              also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
              think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
              American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
              So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
              the way to go.
              Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
              enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
              and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
              diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
              "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
              much more.
              One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
              Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
              MUSIC is also superb.

              --JDR

              current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
            • Cristina A. Montes
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
                the
                > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                > including information in the back about how to contact the
                various
                > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
                had
                > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
                one
                > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
                what
                > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
                an
                > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
                point.
                > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
                is
                > the way to go.
                > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
                Lewis
                > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
                Lewis's
                > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
                and
                > much more.
                > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
                INTERRUPTED
                > MUSIC is also superb.

                Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
                check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
                recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
                coveting!
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                  Cristina wrote:

                  >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                  >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                  >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                  >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                  >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                  >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                  >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                  >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

                  Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                  later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
                  _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
                  the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
                  under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
                  Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
                  "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
                  in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
                  1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
                  term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
                  (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
                  Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
                  Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
                  Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
                  Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
                  1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
                  the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
                  latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
                  Grotta's book.

                  Wayne

                • William Cloud Hicklin
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                    --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                    Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                    > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                    Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                    > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                    > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                    Kurska. But I'll
                    > check again.

                    There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                    originally published in 1976, the author called
                    himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                    some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                      At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                      >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                      >later editions of his book have been published.

                      Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                      editions Grotta.

                      It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                      story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                      book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                      since.

                      Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                      there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                      But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                      call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                      either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                      it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                      are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                      true.

                      The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                      1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                      Inklings)
                      2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                      3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                      4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                      That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                      have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                      David Bratman
                    • Wayne G. Hammond
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                        David wrote:

                        >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                        >editions Grotta.

                        Yes, of course.

                        >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                        >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                        >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                        >since.

                        It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                        Wayne

                      • Kim Jaudon
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                          Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                          I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                          I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                          Thanks!

                          Kim Jaudon

                          David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                          At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                          >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                          >later editions of his book have been published.

                          Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                          editions Grotta.

                          It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                          story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                          book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                          since.

                          Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                          there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                          But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                          call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                          either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                          it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                          are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                          true.

                          The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                          1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                          Inklings)
                          2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                          3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                          4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                          That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                          have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                          David Bratman

                        • Bonnie Callahan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                            Hi to Kim & all of you:

                            For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                            have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                            back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                            I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                            consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                            in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                            Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                            anyone in such efforts!

                            I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                            branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                            minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                            meetings of the Mythsoc.

                            Here's to you all!

                            Cheers,
                            Bonnie Callahan
                            *********

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                              In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                              kim4fsu@... writes:

                              I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                              Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                              good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                              recommendation about purchasing it?

                              Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                              presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                              several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                              what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                sacnoth@... writes:

                                Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                                harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                                Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                                including information in the back about how to contact the various
                                Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                                access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                                book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                                Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                                book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                                Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                              • Sara Ciborski
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                  Dear Kim,
                                  If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                                  good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                                  the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                                  these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                                  of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                                  Sara Ciborski

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    kim4fsu@... writes:

                                    Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                    to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                    that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                    Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                    Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                  • Kim Jaudon

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                        >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                        Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                        Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                        emerdavid

                                        PeoplePC Online
                                        A better way to Internet
                                        http://www.peoplepc.com
                                      • alexeik@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                          kim4fsu@... writes:

                                          I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                          Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                          good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                          recommendation about purchasing it?

                                          Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                          presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                          several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                          what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                          Wendell Wagner <<
                                          I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei