Re: [mythsoc] Re: new member introducing herself

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
      William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

      > If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      >Companion and Guide.

      Which of course is also our own Christina Scull's JRR Tolkien Companion and
      Guide, it being a work of joint authorship.

      Wayne (husband of Christina)

    • David Emerson
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
        Welcome, Cristina.

        >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
        >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
        >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
        >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
        >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
        >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
        >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
        >Companion and Guide.

        All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up there with it.

        emerdavid

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc.com
      • Diane Joy Baker
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
          Welcome to the List! Mae govannen! ---djb
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007

            > Welcome, Cristina.
            >
            > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
            > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
            > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
            > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
            > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
            > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
            > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
            > >Companion and Guide.
            >
            > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
            MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
            there with it.

            Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
            titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

            I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
              In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              solicitr@... writes:

              You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
              Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
              read in Grotta's collection of errors and
              fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
              collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
              are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
              there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
              Companion and Guide.

              You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
              It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
              mistakes in it are?

              http://www.aol.com

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                Welcome to the list, Cristina!

                On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
                > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
                > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
                >
                > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

                Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                including information in the back about how to contact the various
                Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
                he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
                American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
                So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
                the way to go.
                Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
                and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
                diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
                much more.
                One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
                MUSIC is also superb.

                --JDR

                current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
              • Cristina A. Montes
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                  > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
                  the
                  > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                  > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                  > including information in the back about how to contact the
                  various
                  > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
                  had
                  > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
                  one
                  > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
                  what
                  > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                  > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                  > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                  > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
                  an
                  > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
                  point.
                  > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
                  is
                  > the way to go.
                  > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                  > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
                  Lewis
                  > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
                  Lewis's
                  > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                  > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
                  and
                  > much more.
                  > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                  > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
                  INTERRUPTED
                  > MUSIC is also superb.

                  Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                  Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                  tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                  Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                  there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                  various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                  have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                  don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
                  check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
                  recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
                  coveting!
                • Wayne G. Hammond
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                    Cristina wrote:

                    >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                    >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                    >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                    >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                    >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                    >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                    >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                    >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

                    Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                    later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
                    _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
                    the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
                    under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
                    Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
                    "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
                    in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
                    1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
                    term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
                    (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
                    Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
                    Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
                    Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
                    Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
                    1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
                    the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
                    latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
                    Grotta's book.

                    Wayne

                  • William Cloud Hicklin
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                      Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                      > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                      Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                      > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                      > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                      Kurska. But I'll
                      > check again.

                      There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                      originally published in 1976, the author called
                      himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                      some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                        At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                        >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                        >later editions of his book have been published.

                        Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                        editions Grotta.

                        It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                        story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                        book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                        since.

                        Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                        there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                        But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                        call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                        either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                        it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                        are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                        true.

                        The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                        1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                        Inklings)
                        2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                        3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                        4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                        That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                        have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                        David Bratman
                      • Wayne G. Hammond
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                          David wrote:

                          >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                          >editions Grotta.

                          Yes, of course.

                          >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                          >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                          >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                          >since.

                          It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                          Wayne

                        • Kim Jaudon
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                            Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                            I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                            I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                            Thanks!

                            Kim Jaudon

                            David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                            At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                            >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                            >later editions of his book have been published.

                            Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                            editions Grotta.

                            It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                            story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                            book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                            since.

                            Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                            there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                            But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                            call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                            either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                            it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                            are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                            true.

                            The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                            1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                            Inklings)
                            2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                            3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                            4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                            That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                            have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                            David Bratman

                          • Bonnie Callahan
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                              Hi to Kim & all of you:

                              For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                              have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                              back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                              I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                              consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                              in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                              Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                              anyone in such efforts!

                              I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                              branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                              minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                              meetings of the Mythsoc.

                              Here's to you all!

                              Cheers,
                              Bonnie Callahan
                              *********

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                kim4fsu@... writes:

                                I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                recommendation about purchasing it?

                                Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                  In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  sacnoth@... writes:

                                  Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                                  harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                                  Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                                  including information in the back about how to contact the various
                                  Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                                  access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                                  book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                                  Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                                  book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                                  Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                                • Sara Ciborski
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    Dear Kim,
                                    If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                                    good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                                    the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                                    these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                                    of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                                    Sara Ciborski

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                      kim4fsu@... writes:

                                      Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                      to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                      that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                      Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                      Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                    • Kim Jaudon

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                          >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                          Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                          Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                          emerdavid

                                          PeoplePC Online
                                          A better way to Internet
                                          http://www.peoplepc.com
                                        • alexeik@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                            kim4fsu@... writes:

                                            I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                            Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                            good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                            recommendation about purchasing it?

                                            Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                            presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                            several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                            what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                            Wendell Wagner <<
                                            I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei