Re: new member introducing herself

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14 6:47 AM
      Cristina: Elen sila lúmenn' omentielvo!

      Welcome to the group.

      > I have also read three JRRT biographies such as
      "Man and Myth" by
      > Joseph Pearce, "Architect of Middle EArth" by
      Grotta, and "Tolkien
      > and the Great WAr" (I forgot the author.)

      You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
      Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
      read in Grotta's collection of errors and
      fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
      collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
      are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
      there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
      Companion and Guide.
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14 7:00 AM
        William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        > If you want to go further, Tolkien's
        >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
        >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
        >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
        >Companion and Guide.

        Which of course is also our own Christina Scull's JRR Tolkien Companion and
        Guide, it being a work of joint authorship.

        Wayne (husband of Christina)

      • David Emerson
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14 8:25 AM
          Welcome, Cristina.

          >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
          >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
          >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
          >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
          >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
          >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
          >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
          >Companion and Guide.

          All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up there with it.

          emerdavid

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com
        • Diane Joy Baker
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 14 4:22 PM
            Welcome to the List! Mae govannen! ---djb
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 14 5:15 PM

              > Welcome, Cristina.
              >
              > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
              > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
              > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
              > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
              > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
              > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
              > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
              > >Companion and Guide.
              >
              > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
              MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
              there with it.

              Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
              titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

              I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 14 7:35 PM
                In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                solicitr@... writes:

                You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
                Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
                read in Grotta's collection of errors and
                fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
                collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
                are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
                there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
                Companion and Guide.

                You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
                It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
                mistakes in it are?

                http://www.aol.com

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 15 3:19 PM
                  Welcome to the list, Cristina!

                  On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
                  > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
                  > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
                  >
                  > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

                  Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                  harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                  Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                  including information in the back about how to contact the various
                  Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                  access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                  book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
                  he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                  hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                  also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                  think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
                  American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
                  So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
                  the way to go.
                  Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                  enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
                  and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
                  diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                  "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
                  much more.
                  One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                  Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
                  MUSIC is also superb.

                  --JDR

                  current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
                • Cristina A. Montes
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15 5:14 PM
                    > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
                    the
                    > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                    > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                    > including information in the back about how to contact the
                    various
                    > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
                    had
                    > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
                    one
                    > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
                    what
                    > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                    > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                    > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                    > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
                    an
                    > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
                    point.
                    > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
                    is
                    > the way to go.
                    > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                    > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
                    Lewis
                    > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
                    Lewis's
                    > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                    > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
                    and
                    > much more.
                    > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                    > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
                    INTERRUPTED
                    > MUSIC is also superb.

                    Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                    Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                    tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                    Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                    there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                    various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                    have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                    don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
                    check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
                    recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
                    coveting!
                  • Wayne G. Hammond
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 15 6:35 PM
                      Cristina wrote:

                      >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                      >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                      >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                      >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                      >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                      >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                      >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                      >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

                      Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                      later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
                      _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
                      the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
                      under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
                      Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
                      "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
                      in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
                      1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
                      term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
                      (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
                      Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
                      Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
                      Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
                      Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
                      1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
                      the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
                      latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
                      Grotta's book.

                      Wayne

                    • William Cloud Hicklin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 15 7:01 PM
                        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                        Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                        > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                        Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                        > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                        > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                        Kurska. But I'll
                        > check again.

                        There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                        originally published in 1976, the author called
                        himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                        some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 15 8:05 PM
                          At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                          >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                          >later editions of his book have been published.

                          Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                          editions Grotta.

                          It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                          story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                          book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                          since.

                          Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                          there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                          But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                          call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                          either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                          it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                          are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                          true.

                          The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                          1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                          Inklings)
                          2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                          3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                          4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                          That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                          have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                          David Bratman
                        • Wayne G. Hammond
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 16 5:13 AM
                            David wrote:

                            >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                            >editions Grotta.

                            Yes, of course.

                            >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                            >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                            >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                            >since.

                            It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                            Wayne

                          • Kim Jaudon
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16 5:18 PM
                              Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                              I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                              I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                              Thanks!

                              Kim Jaudon

                              David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                              At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                              >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                              >later editions of his book have been published.

                              Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                              editions Grotta.

                              It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                              story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                              book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                              since.

                              Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                              there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                              But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                              call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                              either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                              it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                              are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                              true.

                              The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                              1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                              Inklings)
                              2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                              3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                              4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                              That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                              have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                              David Bratman

                            • Bonnie Callahan
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 16 10:59 PM
                                Hi to Kim & all of you:

                                For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                                have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                                back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                                I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                                consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                                in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                                Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                                anyone in such efforts!

                                I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                                branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                                minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                                meetings of the Mythsoc.

                                Here's to you all!

                                Cheers,
                                Bonnie Callahan
                                *********

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 17 1:08 AM
                                  In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                  kim4fsu@... writes:

                                  I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                  Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                  good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                  recommendation about purchasing it?

                                  Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                  presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                  several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                  what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17 1:12 AM
                                    In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    sacnoth@... writes:

                                    Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                                    harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                                    Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                                    including information in the back about how to contact the various
                                    Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                                    access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                                    book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                                    Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                                    book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                                    Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                                  • Sara Ciborski
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17 8:21 AM
                                      Dear Kim,
                                      If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                                      good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                                      the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                                      these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                                      of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                                      Sara Ciborski

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 17 12:46 PM
                                        kim4fsu@... writes:

                                        Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                        to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                        that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                        Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                        Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                      • Kim Jaudon

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 17 4:24 PM
                                            >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                            Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                            Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                            emerdavid

                                            PeoplePC Online
                                            A better way to Internet
                                            http://www.peoplepc.com
                                          • alexeik@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 17 7:12 PM
                                              kim4fsu@... writes:

                                              I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                              Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                              good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                              recommendation about purchasing it?

                                              Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                              presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                              several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                              what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                              Wendell Wagner <<
                                              I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei