Tolkien in THE ATLANTIC

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 13, 2007
      Today came across a Tolkien reference in the library that's another
      indicator of his permutation of popular culture. In the April 2007
      issue of THE ATLANTIC, the 'Calendar' page (p. 25) lists events of
      note for the upcoming month. Alongside Tax Day, the White House
      Correspondents' Dinner, and the anniversary of the previous pope's
      death is the following piece on JRRT's new book:

      <begin>
      April 17
      Ring Down the Curtain
      Like the Lord of the Rings films, J. R. R. Tolkien's canon is taking
      its time in drawing to a close. Today, the late author's Children of
      Hurin goes on sale. Set long before Lord and imbued with a more
      tragic tone, the tale was pieced together by Tolkien's son,
      Christopher, from notes and fragments.
      <end>

      Also quite surprised to find Tolkien and Lewis brought in at the
      end (penultimate page) of Deborah Blum's GHOST HUNTERS: WILLIAM JAMES
      AND THE SEARCH FOR SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF LIFE AFTER DEATH (2006), the
      story of the Society for Psychical Research. It's part of Blum's
      thesis that James and those like him sought to find a middle way
      between what they saw as the two extremes of scientific atheism and
      outmoded Christianity. At the end, she wrenches her argument to try
      to assert that the post WWI period saw a rejection of skepticism and
      a resurgence of belief:

      <begin>
      Far from disappearing in favor of scientific materialism,
      spiritual values would endure and even seem to gain ground in the
      aftermath of the Great War, even in intellectual circles--as
      evidenced, for example, by the devout Christianity of twentieth-
      century authors J. R. R. Tolkien and his friend C. S. Lewis, both of
      them battle veterans and Oxford dons. (Blum, p. 320)
      <end>

      --JDR
      current reading: Thorne Smith, THE NIGHT LIFE OF THE GODS (1931)

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
        Cristina: Elen sila lúmenn' omentielvo!

        Welcome to the group.

        > I have also read three JRRT biographies such as
        "Man and Myth" by
        > Joseph Pearce, "Architect of Middle EArth" by
        Grotta, and "Tolkien
        > and the Great WAr" (I forgot the author.)

        You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
        Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
        read in Grotta's collection of errors and
        fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
        collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
        are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
        there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
        Companion and Guide.
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
          William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

          > If you want to go further, Tolkien's
          >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
          >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
          >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
          >Companion and Guide.

          Which of course is also our own Christina Scull's JRR Tolkien Companion and
          Guide, it being a work of joint authorship.

          Wayne (husband of Christina)

        • David Emerson
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
            Welcome, Cristina.

            >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
            >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
            >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
            >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
            >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
            >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
            >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
            >Companion and Guide.

            All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up there with it.

            emerdavid

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com
          • Diane Joy Baker
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
              Welcome to the List! Mae govannen! ---djb
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007

                > Welcome, Cristina.
                >
                > >You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
                > >Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
                > >read in Grotta's collection of errors and
                > >fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
                > >collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
                > >are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
                > >there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
                > >Companion and Guide.
                >
                > All very good suggestions. I would add Tom Shippey's ROAD TO
                MIDDLE-EARTH is essential, and AUTHOR OF THE CENTURY is right up
                there with it.

                Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
                titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)

                I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 14, 2007
                  In a message dated 3/14/2007 9:48:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  solicitr@... writes:

                  You would do well to get Tolkien: a Biography by
                  Humphrey Carpenter and try to forget anything you
                  read in Grotta's collection of errors and
                  fabrications. If you want to go further, Tolkien's
                  collected Letters (ed. by Carpenter and C. Tolkien)
                  are indispensable; and for serious in-depth facts
                  there is our own Wayne Hammond's massive JRR Tolkien
                  Companion and Guide.

                  You know, I never understood the hostility that Grotta's biography gets.
                  It's been a long time since I read it though. Can someone tell me what the
                  mistakes in it are?

                  http://www.aol.com

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                    Welcome to the list, Cristina!

                    On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Cristina A. Montes wrote:
                    > Thanks, everyone, for the suggested readings. I will keep these
                    > titles in mind when I get my next bonus! :)
                    >
                    > I would just like to ask: what are examples of Grotta's errors?

                    Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                    harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                    Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                    including information in the back about how to contact the various
                    Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                    access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                    book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together what
                    he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                    hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                    also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                    think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from an
                    American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other point.
                    So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's is
                    the way to go.
                    Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                    enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers Lewis
                    and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie Lewis's
                    diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                    "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln, and
                    much more.
                    One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                    Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent INTERRUPTED
                    MUSIC is also superb.

                    --JDR

                    current reading: ANDREW JACKSON: HIS LIFE AND TIMES by H. W. Brands.
                  • Cristina A. Montes
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                      > Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to
                      the
                      > harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                      > Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                      > including information in the back about how to contact the
                      various
                      > Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who
                      had
                      > access to more biographical information than he could fit into
                      one
                      > book, Grotta-Kurska's unauthorized effort had to piece together
                      what
                      > he could from public sources such as old interviews, with all the
                      > hazards than implies. He's better than HC on the Leeds period and
                      > also does a good job giving background on things Carpenter didn't
                      > think needed explaining (e.g., how Oxford University differs from
                      an
                      > American college), but HC trumps him on just about every other
                      point.
                      > So if you're only going to read one biography of JRRT, Carpenter's
                      is
                      > the way to go.
                      > Of course, given your interest in CSL as well, you'd probably
                      > enjoy Carpenter's follow-up book, THE INKLINGS, which covers
                      Lewis
                      > and Charles Williams. And, although harder to find, Warnie
                      Lewis's
                      > diaries BROTHERS & FRIENDS is an excellent read and gives a vivid
                      > "you are there" window into Inkling meetings, life at the Kiln,
                      and
                      > much more.
                      > One older but still excellent book on Tolkien's work is Paul
                      > Kocher's MASTER OF MIDDLE-EARTH; Verlyn Flieger's recent
                      INTERRUPTED
                      > MUSIC is also superb.

                      Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                      Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                      tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                      Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                      there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                      various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                      have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                      don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska. But I'll
                      check again. Thanks for your reply and the interesting book
                      recommendations! The "Brothers and Friends" one looks surely worth
                      coveting!
                    • Wayne G. Hammond
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                        Cristina wrote:

                        >Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                        >Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? I don't remember reading the
                        >tidbit about Mabel Tolkien being a missionary to the harem of the
                        >Sultan of Zanzibar, but maybe I'll look at my copy to see if it's
                        >there. My copy also does not have information on how to contact the
                        >various Tolkien societies existing at that time, although it does
                        >have the story of how the first Tolkien society started. I also
                        >don't remember if the book was co-authored by Kurska.

                        Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                        later editions of his book have been published. My wife and I discuss
                        _Architect of Middle Earth_ along with other accounts of Tolkien's life in
                        the "Reader's Guide" volume of our _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_,
                        under "Biographies". Among Grotta's errors: he gives the name "Joseph
                        Wrighty" for Joseph Wright, the eminent professor, whom Grotta calls
                        "Tolkien's first tutor" and "a young Fellow . . . who had arrived at Oxford
                        in the same year as Tolkien", i.e. 1911 (in fact Wright was at Oxford since
                        1888 and a professor -- and so no longer a tutor in the Oxford sense of the
                        term -- since 1901); he says that Tolkien took a Second Class in "Moderns
                        (which included Anglo-Saxon as opposed to Greek and Latin)", when in fact
                        Tolkien took Honour Moderations, an examination for those reading Classics;
                        Grotta names Nevill Coghill as Tolkien's successor to the Merton
                        Professorship of English Language and Literature, when it was actually
                        Norman Davis (Coghill became the Merton Professor of English Literature in
                        1957, before Tolkien retired); and Grotta says that the Ace Books _Lord of
                        the Rings_ has "neither index nor appendices", when it did include the
                        latter. Errors such as these remained even in later, revised printings of
                        Grotta's book.

                        Wayne

                      • William Cloud Hicklin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Cristina A.
                          Montes" <camontes_dragon2001@...> wrote:

                          > Hmmm...are we talking about the same book by
                          Daniel Grotta, "J.R.R.
                          > Tolkien: Architect of Middle EArth"? ... I also
                          > don't remember if the book was co-authored by
                          Kurska. But I'll
                          > check again.

                          There's no separate Mr. Kurska: when the book was
                          originally published in 1976, the author called
                          himself "Daniel Grotta-Kurska;" on reprinting, for
                          some reason he dropped the hyphenation.
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 15, 2007
                            At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                            >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                            >later editions of his book have been published.

                            Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                            editions Grotta.

                            It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                            story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                            book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                            since.

                            Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                            there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                            But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                            call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                            either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                            it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                            are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                            true.

                            The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                            1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                            Inklings)
                            2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                            3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                            4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                            That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                            have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                            David Bratman
                          • Wayne G. Hammond
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                              David wrote:

                              >Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                              >editions Grotta.

                              Yes, of course.

                              >It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                              >story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                              >book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                              >since.

                              It was indeed Ready who made this claim, which has no foundation.

                              Wayne

                            • Kim Jaudon
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                                Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a recommendation about purchasing it?

                                I've read both Carpenter's books and loved them, and must confess that I "use" more than simply read Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond's wonderful set (although - why did it take Amazon so long to get me my copies?). I would like to avoid spending precious time with books that aren't first rate. Any guidance would be appreciated.

                                Thanks!

                                Kim Jaudon

                                David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
                                At 09:35 PM 3/15/2007 -0400, Wayne G. Hammond wrote:

                                >Daniel Grotta later expanded his surname to Grotta-Kurska, under which
                                >later editions of his book have been published.

                                Other way around: the first edition was signed Grotta-Kurska, the latter
                                editions Grotta.

                                It wasn't him, under either name, who came up with the Mabel-in-Zanzibar
                                story: that comes, if I recall, from William Ready (an outstandingly bad
                                book), and has been picked up by various other would-be Tolkien biographers
                                since.

                                Grotta does, as John Rateliff notes, have a few useful tidbits here and
                                there, which makes his book of some modest value to the advanced student.
                                But overall it's one of maybe a dozen extraordinarily dubious books that
                                call themselves Tolkien biographies, which are best avoided. These books
                                either rehash Humphrey Carpenter's biography, in which case Carpenter does
                                it better, or invent new material which is simply wrong. Thus, where they
                                are true, they are not original; and where they are original, they are not
                                true.

                                The list of WORTHWHILE books on Tolkien's life is very small and consists of:
                                1. Humphrey Carpenter, Tolkien: A Biography (and, supplementarily, his The
                                Inklings)
                                2. John Garth, Tolkien and the Great War
                                3. Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond, J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
                                4. John and Priscilla Tolkien, The Tolkien Family Album

                                That's the good stuff; that's it. A few of the better critical books also
                                have reliable biographical material, but that's secondary to their function.

                                David Bratman

                              • Bonnie Callahan
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 16, 2007
                                  Hi to Kim & all of you:

                                  For those of you who are in Los Angeles County, we
                                  have the Mydgard branch, which traces its roots clear
                                  back to 1970. The SF Bay area has Khazad-Dum.

                                  I encourage anyone in the rest of the country to
                                  consider organizing groups. We could really use them
                                  in places like Boston & NYC, the heartland places like
                                  Denver, etc. We longtime members are glad to mentor
                                  anyone in such efforts!

                                  I saw how simple (if ambitious) it was to organize
                                  branch after branch in 1968-71, and even recorded
                                  minutes for the nonprofit status organizational
                                  meetings of the Mythsoc.

                                  Here's to you all!

                                  Cheers,
                                  Bonnie Callahan
                                  *********

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                    In a message dated 3/16/2007 8:25:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                    kim4fsu@... writes:

                                    I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                    Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                    good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                    recommendation about purchasing it?

                                    Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                    presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                    several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                    what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                      In a message dated 3/15/2007 6:25:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                                      sacnoth@... writes:

                                      Well, for one thing Tolkien's mother was never a missionary to the
                                      harem of the Sultan of Zanzibar.
                                      Grotta-Kurska is very readable, and he deserves points for
                                      including information in the back about how to contact the various
                                      Tolkien societies existing at the time. But unlike Carpenter, who had
                                      access to more biographical information than he could fit into one
                                      book, Grotta-Kurska'book, Grotta-Kurska'<WBR>s unauthorized effort had to
[...]

                                      Thanks, John. I've read (although it's been a long time now) the Grotta
                                      book, both Carpenter books, and the Kocher book you mention. I've got the
                                      Warnie Lewis book and the Flieger book but haven't read them yet.

                                    • Sara Ciborski
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                        Dear Kim,
                                        If you have the Scull and Hammond Companion and Guide you have access to
                                        good guidance from trustworthy judges about what books are first rate: in
                                        the "Works Consulted" section you will find daggers by selected entries;
                                        these are the ones they "consider...particularly useful for an appreciation
                                        of Tolkein's life and works." You won't waste your time with any of these.
                                        Sara Ciborski

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                          kim4fsu@... writes:

                                          Hello all! I've not been a member of this group for long. I've been unable
                                          to find a local group of individuals willing to enter into the discussions
                                          that this wise group does, and so I am enjoying reading your posts a great deal.

                                          Where do you live? Tell us and we'll be able to tell you if there are any
                                          Mythopoeic Society discussion groups near where you live.

                                        • Kim Jaudon

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                              >I live in Des Moines, Iowa. ... It would be great if there was an existing group nearby.

                                              Well, you're halfway between the Far Westfarthing Smial in Peoria, and Rivendel in Minneapolis/StPaul, if you don't mind a 4-hour drive either way... :-)

                                              Naw, go ahead and start one of your own. It'll be fun!

                                              emerdavid

                                              PeoplePC Online
                                              A better way to Internet
                                              http://www.peoplepc.com
                                            • alexeik@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 17, 2007
                                                kim4fsu@... writes:

                                                I have a question. There is a new book out, The Company They Keep: C.S.
                                                Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community, by Glyer, that looks fairly
                                                good. I'm wondering if anyone has read it yet, and if you could give a
                                                recommendation about purchasing it?

                                                Diana Glyer is a long-time member of the Mythopoeic Society, and she has
                                                presented bits of this book as talks at Mythcon. I've been asking her for
                                                several years now when this book will come out. I haven't read it yet, but from
                                                what I know of it I think it's going to be a great book.

                                                Wendell Wagner <<
                                                I just got my copy a few days ago. It's quite an exciting and insightful book, as it looks at a lot of familiar material in a completely fresh way. Alexei