Re: [mythsoc] Re: Recent Fantasy

  • Kim
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
      At 10:15 AM 7/3/00 +0000, you wrote:
      >Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 09:03:34 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: "David S. Bratman" <dbratman@...>
      >
      >Here's a timeline of the Adult Fantasy Series, in case there's any
      >fuzziness in your mind about dates:

      <timeline snipped>
      Thanks for the summary.

      Are you familiar with this site on the AF books:

      http://home.epix.net/~wallison/bafs.html

      If there are any other sites on the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series, I
      would certainly like to know about them.

      Thanks,
      Kim
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
        Kim [kholec@...] wrote:
        > Are you familiar with this site on the AF books:
        >
        > http://home.epix.net/~wallison/bafs.html
        >
        > If there are any other sites on the Ballantine Adult Fantasy series, I
        > would certainly like to know about them.

        http://members.tripod.com/DonaldMoon/fantasy/BAFS1home.htm

        It has some more information, but not a motherlode.

        "No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally
        (and often far more) worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond."
        --C.S. Lewis
        Currently reading: Empire of Unreason by Gregory Keyes
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
          In a message dated 07/03/2000 2:10:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, qiena@...
          writes:

          << I remember throwing that last installment of
          Martin's on the floor when I realized he was going to leave me dangling in
          midair. >>
          Hee hee. What about _The Mirror of Her Dreams_? LOL Author familiar but
          temporarily forgotten.

          Lizzie
        • LSolarion@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 5, 2000
            In a message dated 07/03/2000 11:10:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, qiena@...
            writes:

            << I remember throwing that last installment of
            Martin's on the floor when I realized he was going to leave me dangling in
            midair. At least other series I've read have been somewhat self-contained,
            leaving just enough yearning for the next part without the frustration.

            Sharon >>

            I felt the same way when I read _Lawmaker's War_ (I think that's right...it
            was Lawmaker's something...won't it be great when we're no longer old and
            forgetful!), and realized that Tom Dietz, who had always written single
            volumes (but with recurring characters) would leave me hanging in mid-tale
            until the second half came out a year later. Are any of you familiar with his
            work? Marvelous interaction between Faerie (of Irish myth) and mundane
            Georgia, which are parallel but tangential worlds. He has other series, but
            not as good IMHO. He just started his best series yet with _Bloodwinter_,
            about a society that values craftsmanship so highly that it organizes its
            hierarchies based on skill at artistic creation. My kind of world! Volume
            two, _Springwar_, is due out this fall. But Martin's series is too good to
            wait on.
            Steve