Re: Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000

      <<>From: ERATRIANO@...

      >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
      >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
      >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
      >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
      >
      >Lizzie

      They're really, *really* different!

      Berni

      Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping Beauty,
      not Beauty and the Beast.
      Alexei
    • ERATRIANO@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3, 2000
        In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        alexeik@... writes:

        << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
        Beauty,
        not Beauty and the Beast. >>
        Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
        delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
        Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
        It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

        Lizzie
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2000
          In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
          me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

          Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
          from? Another new one on me.

          Lizzie, doing a doubletake
        • David Lenander
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
            The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
            McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
            are a number of variations retold in various places.

            ERATRIANO@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > bernip@... writes:
            >
            > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
            > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
            >
            > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
            > from? Another new one on me.
            >
            > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

            > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

            David Lenander,

          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
              In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

              <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

              It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
              Alexei
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2000
                >From: ERATRIANO@...

                >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                >bernip@... writes:
                >
                ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                >
                >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                >from? Another new one on me.
                >
                >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
                if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

                Berni
              • Madame K
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 12, 2000
                  Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                  "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                  "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                  elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                  children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                  featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                  people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                  Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                  rewarding.

                  Mary Jo