RE: [mythsoc] Re: Did the Jackson movies increase the prices for rare Tolkien books?

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5 4:42 AM
      David Oberhelman wrote:

      >I have bought a number of rare (and not-so-rare) Tolkien books on Ebay on
      >used dealer sites like Abebooks since the mid 90s, and think Jason's
      >assessment is about right for the market today. There are many
      >fluctuations and peaks and valleys. There was a spike earlier in the
      >decade on online sites, and were many first-time collectors started
      >scrambling for "rare" volumes. Many also started to sell books that had
      >been collecting dust on their shelves for years. The market on sites like
      >Ebay has cooled somewhat, in general terms, but there still seems to be
      >demand, though not as much as in 2001-2003. Long-time collectors who were
      >collecting before the movies came out seem to have been sticking it out
      >and have weathered the storm. I haven't checked Bookman's Price Index or
      >American Book Prices Current for Tolkien books in the last few years, but
      >they are fairly reliable indicators since they use auction house and
      >reputable dealer prices. Some on this list such as Wayne would be the best
      >experts to consult for long-term trends.

      There are always fluctuations in the book market, driven by supply and
      demand and influenced by the general economy. The Tolkien market did indeed
      begin to heat up beginning just before the Jackson films, peaked for about
      a year, then began to cool to a current state of warmth. Pre-film hype gave
      sellers an incentive to bring more material into the market and created new
      Tolkien collectors, but as supply increases and a saturation point is
      reached, values will tend to moderate, and there are only so many buyers
      able to pay the highest prices. I would say that the market is back to its
      pre-Jackson level, except that rarer items in general command prices higher
      than before.

      Christina and I provide an overview of "Collecting and sales" in The J.R.R.
      Tolkien Companion and Guide.

      Wayne