An Invented Civilization (once more)

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2007
      Thanks to David and Janet for attempting to help me identify
      Groznia. Janet, it couldn't have been influenced by _The Inspector
      General_ (1949) because Anthony Boucher and Denis Green first used it in a
      1946 radio script (part of their "The Casebook of Gregory Hood"
      contributions). David is probably right. I'm going to do what I should
      have done earlier--order copies of Boucher's plottings from the Lilly
      Library. If I learn something different, I'll report back. --Joe
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2007
        The village in the Danny Kaye movie is Brodny, not
        Grozny. IIRC, it isn't named in Gogol's original
        play.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Joe R.
        Christopher" <jchristopher@...> wrote:

        > Thanks to David and Janet for attempting to help
        me identify
        > Groznia. Janet, it couldn't have been
        influenced by _The Inspector
        > General_ (1949) because Anthony Boucher and
        Denis Green first used it in a
        > 1946 radio script (part of their "The Casebook
        of Gregory Hood"
        > contributions). David is probably right. I'm
        going to do what I should
        > have done earlier--order copies of Boucher's
        plottings from the Lilly
        > Library. If I learn something different, I'll
        report back. --Joe

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 5, 2007
          Thanks - having heard it only once I wasn't sure, and when I looked at
          the play I didn't see a specific location named.

          Janet

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com <mailto:mythsoc%40yahoogroups.com> , "Joe