Re: CS Lewis & G. MacDonald

  • Diane Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 1999
      Christine Howlett wrote:

      > From: "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@...>
      >
      > Yes, read them! I'm another CSL fan and I like George MacDonald very much,
      > and I love Tolkien - read all the ring books and Silmarillion (that's
      > dedication!) and his short stories which are wonderful. They all have a
      > very coherent view of faith, though different ways of tackling it of course.
      >
      > Christine H.

      That's one of the reasons I love Tolkien: he shows a world in which
      characters live out their faith in very different ways, without
      referring to overt religious worship all the time (as in many
      "fundamentalist" fictions), although there is some worship which quietly
      takes place. Faith undergirds every action (from the good characters),
      and the goodness is simply "there," not preached. Another instance of
      showing rather than telling.

      BTW, this may be good or bad news, depending on whether you like or
      dislike: Frank Perretti has a new novel out, called *The Visitation.*
      Genuine hardback, and I first saw it in B. Dalton's, not Zondervan. I
      have not read it yet. ---djb.