Re: an invented civilization?

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2007
      Not really in reply to Michael Cunningham on invented civilizations--but a
      question. I have come upon a reference to Groznia in three radio plays
      plotted by Anthony Boucher. The country or the city touches the Black
      Sea. I don't find a reference to a real place of that name. Does the name
      appear in some piece of popular fiction that I do not know?

      Thanks for any information,
      --Joe
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2007
        Sounds to me like Grozny, the capital of Chechnya, which is not exactly on the Black Sea, but is only about 300 miles away. It's the same word that in "Ivan Grozny" is usually translated as "the Terrible", so maybe it has invented uses as well.

        >Not really in reply to Michael Cunningham on invented civilizations--but a
        >question. I have come upon a reference to Groznia in three radio plays
        >plotted by Anthony Boucher. The country or the city touches the Black
        >Sea. I don't find a reference to a real place of that name. Does the name
        >appear in some piece of popular fiction that I do not know?
        >
        >Thanks for any information,
        >--Joe

      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2007
          Could it be a reference to "The Inspector General"? I can't find the
          lyrics online, but isn't there a song called something like "Praise to
          Grozny (to the Sky)" in which Danny Kaye is always a beat or two ahead
          of or behind everyone else?

          Janet