CSL cited in Congress

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 16, 2007
      Happened to catch a snippet of the House debate on the non-binding
      resolution today, and tickled to see that one Rep. Mike Pence
      (Republican of Indiana) quoted from C. S. Lewis in his speech
      opposing the measure (I didn't recognize the quote; something about
      courage). Does this mean he's becoming ubiquitous?
      --JDR
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
        I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis," and "resolution," and I
        found the following news story:

        _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224_
        (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224)
        The quotation from Lewis is the following:
        C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of
        every virtue at the testing point."
        Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_. The one
        place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says that it's in the
        28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find it in the
        29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in difference editions?

      • kim4fsu
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007

          > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
          and "resolution," and I
          > found the following news story:
          >

          > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
          DocumentID=58224_
          > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
          DocumentID=58224)
          > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
          > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
          the form of
          > every virtue at the testing point."
          > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
          The one
          > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
          that it's in the
          > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
          it in the
          > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
          difference editions?
          > Wendell Wagner

          Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
          while, so, please bear with me!

          I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
          first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
          and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
          signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
          can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

          And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
          great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
          contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

          Kim Jaudon