Sir Ian on acting Gandalf

  • Debra Murphy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
      My son sent me these YouTube links, from Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS program,
      and I thought many of you would get as much a howl out of them as I did.

      First, there's Sir Ian McKellen playing himself, discussing his acting
      philosophy behind playing Gandalf:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjHedvAnDY

      Then, though it has nothing to do with PJ's RINGS movies, other than the
      fact that I am one of those who generally loved the films, but wished to
      heck PJ had cast David Bowie as Elrond, here's another EXTRAS bit, with
      the Bowie being innocently brutal to poor Ricky Gervais:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRtyXMXwcs:

      Debra Murphy
    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
        Cf. the OED, under BOOTS: "An instrument of torture formerly used in
        Scotland to extort confessions from prisoners", a meaning they trace
        back to 1513.
        --JDR