RE: [mythsoc] Spanish or Scotch Boots

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
      Goethe's line is "In spanische Stiefeln eingeschn├╝rt," the Spanish boots used in torture. The Scotchcast boot today is a fiberglass boot used in the treatment of foot ulcers (it's fitted around lesions in the foot in diabetic patients, etc.).

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
        My son sent me these YouTube links, from Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS program,
        and I thought many of you would get as much a howl out of them as I did.

        First, there's Sir Ian McKellen playing himself, discussing his acting
        philosophy behind playing Gandalf:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjHedvAnDY

        Then, though it has nothing to do with PJ's RINGS movies, other than the
        fact that I am one of those who generally loved the films, but wished to
        heck PJ had cast David Bowie as Elrond, here's another EXTRAS bit, with
        the Bowie being innocently brutal to poor Ricky Gervais:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRtyXMXwcs:

        Debra Murphy
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
          Cf. the OED, under BOOTS: "An instrument of torture formerly used in
          Scotland to extort confessions from prisoners", a meaning they trace
          back to 1513.
          --JDR