Re: [mythsoc] Spanish or Scotch Boots

  • jack@greenmanreview.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
      “All your empirics could never do the like cure upon the gout as the
      rack in England or your Scotch boots.”—Marston: The Malcontent._

    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
        Goethe's line is "In spanische Stiefeln eingeschnürt," the Spanish boots used in torture. The Scotchcast boot today is a fiberglass boot used in the treatment of foot ulcers (it's fitted around lesions in the foot in diabetic patients, etc.).

        **************************************
        David D. Oberhelman
        Associate Professor
        Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        Oklahoma State University Library
        Stillwater, OK 74078
        Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
          My son sent me these YouTube links, from Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS program,
          and I thought many of you would get as much a howl out of them as I did.

          First, there's Sir Ian McKellen playing himself, discussing his acting
          philosophy behind playing Gandalf:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjHedvAnDY

          Then, though it has nothing to do with PJ's RINGS movies, other than the
          fact that I am one of those who generally loved the films, but wished to
          heck PJ had cast David Bowie as Elrond, here's another EXTRAS bit, with
          the Bowie being innocently brutal to poor Ricky Gervais:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRtyXMXwcs:

          Debra Murphy
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
            Cf. the OED, under BOOTS: "An instrument of torture formerly used in
            Scotland to extort confessions from prisoners", a meaning they trace
            back to 1513.
            --JDR