Humor and Tolkien

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
      >"Children laugh over Harry Potter in the way that they never did over JRR
      >Tolkien, who is reputed to have made one joke in his entire oeuvre."
      >
      >Oh surely not!! though I'm not going to stop here and count.

      You're right, Mary. I read it to my sister when she was in elementary
      school, and there are parts she (and I) found humorous. such as:

      Gandalf threatening to turn Samwise into a frog

      "Proud-Feet!"

      "Next time, throw yourself in!"

      "Except, of course, our sturdy Dwarf."

      And there's always Aragorn's satiric imitation of the herb-master in the
      houses of healing.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and
      MNSCREENW lists
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
        "Children laugh over Harry Potter in the way that they never did over JRR
        Tolkien, who is reputed to have made one joke in his entire oeuvre."

        Oh surely not!! though I'm not going to stop here and count.

        How about when Gollum dances about in triumph and accidentally falls into the
        Pit? That's a hoot, right there.

        Mary S