Humor and Tolkien

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
      "Children laugh over Harry Potter in the way that they never did over JRR
      Tolkien, who is reputed to have made one joke in his entire oeuvre."

      Oh surely not!! though I'm not going to stop here and count.

      How about when Gollum dances about in triumph and accidentally falls into the
      Pit? That's a hoot, right there.

      Mary S
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
        >"Children laugh over Harry Potter in the way that they never did over JRR
        >Tolkien, who is reputed to have made one joke in his entire oeuvre."
        >
        >Oh surely not!! though I'm not going to stop here and count.

        You're right, Mary. I read it to my sister when she was in elementary
        school, and there are parts she (and I) found humorous. such as:

        Gandalf threatening to turn Samwise into a frog

        "Proud-Feet!"

        "Next time, throw yourself in!"

        "Except, of course, our sturdy Dwarf."

        And there's always Aragorn's satiric imitation of the herb-master in the
        houses of healing.

        Joan

        Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
        List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI and