Spanish or Scotch Boots

  • Hugh Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
      I have a question for this learned group. In David Constantine's translation of Faust, Part I, Mephistopheles refers to "being fitted tightly in Scotch boots" (line 1913). The notes suggest Scotch or Spanish boots for the line, and that this is an instrument of torture. I know of Spanish boots from the Inquisition, but does anyone know the origin of the Scottish variety?

      Hugh Davis

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
        “All your empirics could never do the like cure upon the gout as the
        rack in England or your Scotch boots.”—Marston: The Malcontent._

      • Oberhelman, D
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
          Goethe's line is "In spanische Stiefeln eingeschnürt," the Spanish boots used in torture. The Scotchcast boot today is a fiberglass boot used in the treatment of foot ulcers (it's fitted around lesions in the foot in diabetic patients, etc.).

          **************************************
          David D. Oberhelman
          Associate Professor
          Humanities-Social Sciences Division
          Oklahoma State University Library
          Stillwater, OK 74078
          Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
          Email: d.oberhelman@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
            My son sent me these YouTube links, from Ricky Gervais' EXTRAS program,
            and I thought many of you would get as much a howl out of them as I did.

            First, there's Sir Ian McKellen playing himself, discussing his acting
            philosophy behind playing Gandalf:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqjHedvAnDY

            Then, though it has nothing to do with PJ's RINGS movies, other than the
            fact that I am one of those who generally loved the films, but wished to
            heck PJ had cast David Bowie as Elrond, here's another EXTRAS bit, with
            the Bowie being innocently brutal to poor Ricky Gervais:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRtyXMXwcs:

            Debra Murphy
          • John D Rateliff
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2007
              Cf. the OED, under BOOTS: "An instrument of torture formerly used in
              Scotland to extort confessions from prisoners", a meaning they trace
              back to 1513.
              --JDR