Lewis, Oyarses and Bernardus Silvestris

  • lakowskir
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
      I found the "source" for the Wikipedia entry. Walter Hooper in C.S. Lewis
      Companion and Guide (207-08) quotes the relevant passage from Bernardus
      Silvestris in Latin with an English translation. He also adds that one
      of Lewis's colleagues at Madgalen had suggested to him that "Oyarses"
      was a corruption of "Ousiarches" from Pseudo-Apuleius. Besides, the
      reference noted by John Rateliff to Ch.22 of Out of the Silent Planet,
      Lewis seems to be also translating from him at the end of the Postscript.

      Lewis refers to Silvestris in a number of his academic works (see Bernardus
      Silvestris in the Indices), including Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
      Literature, The Discarded Image, Studies in Words, A Preface to Paradise
      Lost, and The Allegory of Love, in which he devotes several pages (90-98
      in my edition) to Bernardus. He also includes a quote from him at the
      beginning of Book 10 of A Pilgrim's Regress.

      There is a convenient translation of the Cosmographia in the Columbia
      Records of Civilization series (1973) and an edition of the Latin text
      by Peter Dronke (1978).

      Romuald (Ronnie) I. Lakowski

      > Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
      > writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
      > Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.
      >
      > --JDR
      >

      > On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:
      >
      > > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
      > > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
      > > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
      > > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
      > > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
      > > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
      > > remember where.

    • John D Rateliff
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 16, 2007
        Happened to catch a snippet of the House debate on the non-binding
        resolution today, and tickled to see that one Rep. Mike Pence
        (Republican of Indiana) quoted from C. S. Lewis in his speech
        opposing the measure (I didn't recognize the quote; something about
        courage). Does this mean he's becoming ubiquitous?
        --JDR
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
          I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis," and "resolution," and I
          found the following news story:

          _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224_
          (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224)
          The quotation from Lewis is the following:
          C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of
          every virtue at the testing point."
          Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_. The one
          place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says that it's in the
          28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find it in the
          29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in difference editions?

        • kim4fsu
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007

            > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
            and "resolution," and I
            > found the following news story:
            >

            > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
            DocumentID=58224_
            > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
            DocumentID=58224)
            > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
            > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
            the form of
            > every virtue at the testing point."
            > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
            The one
            > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
            that it's in the
            > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
            it in the
            > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
            difference editions?
            > Wendell Wagner

            Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
            while, so, please bear with me!

            I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
            first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
            and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
            signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
            can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

            And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
            great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
            contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

            Kim Jaudon