Re: Lewis name origin question

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
      How funny: having this friend in common with David, I checked
      wikipedia last week about the origin of "Oyarsa", and found nothing;
      the "source of name" section seems to have been added to
      wikipedia's "Oyarsa" entry only yesterday.

      -Merlin DeTardo

      >---"Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:
      > Thanks, I didn't have a chance to Wiki it before referring it to
      the list! A Greek origin would make more sense for Lewis.

      that it is derived via Bernard Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately
      from the Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being." Lewis if I remember
      rightly refers to Silvestris somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I
      can't remember where.
    • Oberhelman, D
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
        Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two. One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional, peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).

        I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent in quality and detail.

        **************************************
        David D. Oberhelman
        Associate Professor
        Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        Oklahoma State University Library
        Stillwater, OK 74078
        Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        Email: d.oberhelman@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
          Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
          writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
          Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.

          --JDR

          On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:

          > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
          > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
          > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
          > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
          > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
          > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
          > remember where.
        • Jeremy Edmonds
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
            The Tolkien Wiki you mention was last updated in May of 2006, and doesn't seem
            all that active. You might also try http://www.tolkiengateway.net - it was
            started two years ago, but is quite active. I have no formed opinion on the
            quality and detail of all the articles, there are more than 5000 now and I have
            read only a handful.

            Another example of how Wiki sites differ from other information sources. Two
            years from now, Tolkien Gateway could well be stale and some other site have
            taken up the mantle.

            Jeremy

            --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

            > Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two.
            > One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there
            > are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality
            > and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic
            > I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills
            > course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional,
            > peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).
            >
            > I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few
            > times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent
            > in quality and detail.
            >

            > **************************************
            > David D. Oberhelman
            > Associate Professor
            > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
            > Oklahoma State University Library
            > Stillwater, OK 74078
            > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
            > Email: d.oberhelman@...
          • lakowskir
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
              I found the "source" for the Wikipedia entry. Walter Hooper in C.S. Lewis
              Companion and Guide (207-08) quotes the relevant passage from Bernardus
              Silvestris in Latin with an English translation. He also adds that one
              of Lewis's colleagues at Madgalen had suggested to him that "Oyarses"
              was a corruption of "Ousiarches" from Pseudo-Apuleius. Besides, the
              reference noted by John Rateliff to Ch.22 of Out of the Silent Planet,
              Lewis seems to be also translating from him at the end of the Postscript.

              Lewis refers to Silvestris in a number of his academic works (see Bernardus
              Silvestris in the Indices), including Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
              Literature, The Discarded Image, Studies in Words, A Preface to Paradise
              Lost, and The Allegory of Love, in which he devotes several pages (90-98
              in my edition) to Bernardus. He also includes a quote from him at the
              beginning of Book 10 of A Pilgrim's Regress.

              There is a convenient translation of the Cosmographia in the Columbia
              Records of Civilization series (1973) and an edition of the Latin text
              by Peter Dronke (1978).

              Romuald (Ronnie) I. Lakowski

              > Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
              > writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
              > Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.
              >
              > --JDR
              >

              > On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:
              >
              > > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
              > > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
              > > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
              > > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
              > > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
              > > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
              > > remember where.

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2007
                Happened to catch a snippet of the House debate on the non-binding
                resolution today, and tickled to see that one Rep. Mike Pence
                (Republican of Indiana) quoted from C. S. Lewis in his speech
                opposing the measure (I didn't recognize the quote; something about
                courage). Does this mean he's becoming ubiquitous?
                --JDR
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
                  I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis," and "resolution," and I
                  found the following news story:

                  _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224_
                  (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224)
                  The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                  C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of
                  every virtue at the testing point."
                  Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_. The one
                  place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says that it's in the
                  28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find it in the
                  29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in difference editions?

                • kim4fsu
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007

                    > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
                    and "resolution," and I
                    > found the following news story:
                    >

                    > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                    DocumentID=58224_
                    > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                    DocumentID=58224)
                    > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                    > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
                    the form of
                    > every virtue at the testing point."
                    > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
                    The one
                    > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
                    that it's in the
                    > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
                    it in the
                    > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
                    difference editions?
                    > Wendell Wagner

                    Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
                    while, so, please bear with me!

                    I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
                    first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
                    and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
                    signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
                    can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

                    And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
                    great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
                    contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

                    Kim Jaudon