RE: [mythsoc] Re: Lewis name origin question

  • Oberhelman, D
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
      Thanks, I didn't have a chance to Wiki it before referring it to the list! A Greek origin would make more sense for Lewis.

      **************************************
      David D. Oberhelman
      Associate Professor
      Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      Oklahoma State University Library
      Stillwater, OK 74078
      Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      Email: d.oberhelman@...

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
        How funny: having this friend in common with David, I checked
        wikipedia last week about the origin of "Oyarsa", and found nothing;
        the "source of name" section seems to have been added to
        wikipedia's "Oyarsa" entry only yesterday.

        -Merlin DeTardo

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
          Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two. One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional, peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).

          I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent in quality and detail.

          **************************************

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
            Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
            writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
            Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.

            --JDR

            On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:

            > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
            > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
            > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
            > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
            > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
            > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
            > remember where.
          • Jeremy Edmonds
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
              The Tolkien Wiki you mention was last updated in May of 2006, and doesn't seem
              all that active. You might also try http://www.tolkiengateway.net - it was
              started two years ago, but is quite active. I have no formed opinion on the
              quality and detail of all the articles, there are more than 5000 now and I have
              read only a handful.

              Another example of how Wiki sites differ from other information sources. Two
              years from now, Tolkien Gateway could well be stale and some other site have
              taken up the mantle.

              Jeremy

              --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

              > Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two.
              > One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there
              > are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality
              > and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic
              > I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills
              > course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional,
              > peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).
              >
              > I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few
              > times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent
              > in quality and detail.
              >

              > **************************************
              > David D. Oberhelman
              > Associate Professor
              > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
              > Oklahoma State University Library
              > Stillwater, OK 74078
              > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
              > Email: d.oberhelman@...
            • lakowskir
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2007
                I found the "source" for the Wikipedia entry. Walter Hooper in C.S. Lewis
                Companion and Guide (207-08) quotes the relevant passage from Bernardus
                Silvestris in Latin with an English translation. He also adds that one
                of Lewis's colleagues at Madgalen had suggested to him that "Oyarses"
                was a corruption of "Ousiarches" from Pseudo-Apuleius. Besides, the
                reference noted by John Rateliff to Ch.22 of Out of the Silent Planet,
                Lewis seems to be also translating from him at the end of the Postscript.

                Lewis refers to Silvestris in a number of his academic works (see Bernardus
                Silvestris in the Indices), including Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
                Literature, The Discarded Image, Studies in Words, A Preface to Paradise
                Lost, and The Allegory of Love, in which he devotes several pages (90-98
                in my edition) to Bernardus. He also includes a quote from him at the
                beginning of Book 10 of A Pilgrim's Regress.

                There is a convenient translation of the Cosmographia in the Columbia
                Records of Civilization series (1973) and an edition of the Latin text
                by Peter Dronke (1978).

                Romuald (Ronnie) I. Lakowski

                > Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
                > writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
                > Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.
                >
                > --JDR
                >

                > On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:
                >
                > > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
                > > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
                > > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
                > > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
                > > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
                > > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
                > > remember where.

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 16, 2007
                  Happened to catch a snippet of the House debate on the non-binding
                  resolution today, and tickled to see that one Rep. Mike Pence
                  (Republican of Indiana) quoted from C. S. Lewis in his speech
                  opposing the measure (I didn't recognize the quote; something about
                  courage). Does this mean he's becoming ubiquitous?
                  --JDR
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007
                    I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis," and "resolution," and I
                    found the following news story:

                    _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224_
                    (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224)
                    The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                    C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of
                    every virtue at the testing point."
                    Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_. The one
                    place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says that it's in the
                    28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find it in the
                    29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in difference editions?

                  • kim4fsu
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 17, 2007

                      > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
                      and "resolution," and I
                      > found the following news story:
                      >

                      > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                      DocumentID=58224_
                      > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                      DocumentID=58224)
                      > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                      > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
                      the form of
                      > every virtue at the testing point."
                      > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
                      The one
                      > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
                      that it's in the
                      > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
                      it in the
                      > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
                      difference editions?
                      > Wendell Wagner

                      Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
                      while, so, please bear with me!

                      I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
                      first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
                      and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
                      signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
                      can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

                      And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
                      great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
                      contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

                      Kim Jaudon