Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

  • Diane Joy Baker
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2 9:58 PM
      From: Paul F. Labaki <sheik@...>
      To: <mythsoc@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 10:06 AM
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Tepper & others

      > You're recollecting Robin McKinley's "Deerskin." I was greatly moved by
      > this book when I read it, but I've read several reviews and comments by
      > people who were "disturbed" or "upset" by the book, especially the
      violence
      > perpetrated on the main character which starts things moving.
      > What did you think?

      I enjoyed *Deerskin* a great deal, though I thought there were incidents
      which struck me as implausible---esp. the reactions of the characters at the
      "confrontation" between her rapist and herself. Nevertheless, there are
      memorable descriptions, and incidents. ---djb.

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 3 7:46 AM

        <<>From: ERATRIANO@...

        >I was horrified at first, especially the miscarriage was gross, but believe
        >that in the long run it redeemed itself as a work of art. Hm, and I am
        >mixing up Robin McKinley's _Beauty_ with Tepper's version. I don't think
        >I've read Tepper's. It's McKinley's version that I remember so fondly.
        >
        >Lizzie

        They're really, *really* different!

        Berni

        Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping Beauty,
        not Beauty and the Beast.
        Alexei
      • ERATRIANO@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3 8:41 AM
          In a message dated 07/03/2000 10:47:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          alexeik@... writes:

          << Besides which, the "Beauty" in Tepper's novel is meant to be Sleeping
          Beauty,
          not Beauty and the Beast. >>
          Oh, okay. Well, maybe I can redeem myself a little by passing on the
          delightful sort of modernday not so mythical retelling of Beauty and the
          Beast in _Sometimes the Soul: Two Novellas of Sicily," by Gioia Timpanelli.
          It's called "Rusina, Not Quite in Love."

          Lizzie
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10 7:41 PM
            In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
            me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>

            Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
            from? Another new one on me.

            Lizzie, doing a doubletake
          • David Lenander
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11 8:57 AM
              The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin." Apparently,
              McKinley thought deerskin more elegant and appropriate for her story. But there
              are a number of variations retold in various places.

              ERATRIANO@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > bernip@... writes:
              >
              > << That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
              > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
              >
              > Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
              > from? Another new one on me.
              >
              > Lizzie, doing a doubletake

              > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.

              David Lenander,

            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11 12:44 PM
                In a message dated 7/11/0 4:07:44 PM, David Lenander wrote:

                <<The original fairy tale is usually translated as "Donkey Skin.">>

                It's Perrault's _Peau d'âne_.
                Alexei
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11 6:11 PM
                  >From: ERATRIANO@...

                  >In a message dated 07/01/2000 10:48:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  >bernip@... writes:
                  >
                  ><< That was Robin McKinley's _Deerskin_, another one that was too intense for
                  > me. It did at least follow the fairy tale original moderately well. >>
                  >
                  >Oh, wait a minute.. there was an original fairy tale? Where did it come
                  >from? Another new one on me.
                  >
                  >Lizzie, doing a doubletake

                  Donkeyskin, I believe, is the original fairy tale. I don't remember
                  if it's a German or French, but it's not hard to find.

                  Berni
                • Madame K
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 12 11:46 PM
                    Those who have only read the bowdlerized English language versions of
                    "Donkey Skin" may well be surprised at the intensity of McKinley's
                    "Deerskin". The original French tale features incestual and scatalogical
                    elements with which anglo cultures are very uncomfortable in traditional
                    children's literature. Despite being based on a fairy tale and despite
                    featuring McKinley's signature beautifully realized relationships between
                    people and animals, "Deerskin" is most certainly not a children's book.
                    Parts of it were harrowing to read, but I found the story as a whole very
                    rewarding.

                    Mary Jo