Re: Lewis name origin question

  • lakowskir
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 5 2:01 PM
      Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
      which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
      Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
      Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
      Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
      somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
      remember where.

      Ronnie Lakowski
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is an avid Lewis reader.
      >
      > She is wondering if anyone might know the origin of the
      name "Oyarsa" from Out of the Silent Planet. She has heard of the
      term "Orisa" or "Orisha"--a spirit in the Yoruba religion of Africa
      and the New World/Brazil--and wondered if Lewis might have adapted
      that word when he coined the name for his eldil.

      > Thank you for any light you can shed on the name.
      >

      > **************************************
      > David D. Oberhelman
      > Associate Professor
      > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
      > Oklahoma State University Library
      > Stillwater, OK 74078
      > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
      > Email: d.oberhelman@...

    • Oberhelman, D

        wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is an avid Lewis reader.
        >
        > She is wondering if anyone might know the origin of the
        name "Oyarsa" from Out of the Silent Planet. She has heard of the
        term "Orisa" or "Orisha"--a spirit in the Yoruba religion of Africa
        and the New World/Brazil--and wondered if Lewis might have adapted
        that word when he coined the name for his eldil.

        > Thank you for any light you can shed on the name.
        >

        > **************************************
        > David D. Oberhelman
        > Associate Professor
        > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
        > Oklahoma State University Library
        > Stillwater, OK 74078
        > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
        > Email: d.oberhelman@...

      • Merlin DeTardo
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5 2:28 PM
          How funny: having this friend in common with David, I checked
          wikipedia last week about the origin of "Oyarsa", and found nothing;
          the "source of name" section seems to have been added to
          wikipedia's "Oyarsa" entry only yesterday.

          -Merlin DeTardo

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5 2:52 PM
            Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two. One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional, peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).

            I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent in quality and detail.

            **************************************

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5 2:59 PM
              Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
              writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
              Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.

              --JDR

              On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:

              > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
              > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
              > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
              > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
              > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
              > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
              > remember where.
            • Jeremy Edmonds
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5 3:07 PM
                The Tolkien Wiki you mention was last updated in May of 2006, and doesn't seem
                all that active. You might also try http://www.tolkiengateway.net - it was
                started two years ago, but is quite active. I have no formed opinion on the
                quality and detail of all the articles, there are more than 5000 now and I have
                read only a handful.

                Another example of how Wiki sites differ from other information sources. Two
                years from now, Tolkien Gateway could well be stale and some other site have
                taken up the mantle.

                Jeremy

                --- "Oberhelman, D" <d.oberhelman@...> wrote:

                > Ah, interesting that the entry was apparently altered within a day or two.
                > One of the advantages of Wikis is that they can updated quickly. Yet there
                > are still many dangers in relying upon "community policing" to ensure quality
                > and accuracy. I will have to use this as an example in the discussion topic
                > I am giving the undergraduates in my online Library Science research skills
                > course (they are looking at how Wiki sites differ from traditional,
                > peer-reviewed information sources with known authors).
                >
                > I have looked at the Tolkien Wiki (http://www.thetolkienwiki.org) a few
                > times, and it has some decent material, but the entries are very inconsistent
                > in quality and detail.
                >

                > **************************************
                > David D. Oberhelman
                > Associate Professor
                > Humanities-Social Sciences Division
                > Oklahoma State University Library
                > Stillwater, OK 74078
                > Phone: (405) 744-9773 Fax: (405) 744-7579
                > Email: d.oberhelman@...
              • lakowskir
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 5 10:43 PM
                  I found the "source" for the Wikipedia entry. Walter Hooper in C.S. Lewis
                  Companion and Guide (207-08) quotes the relevant passage from Bernardus
                  Silvestris in Latin with an English translation. He also adds that one
                  of Lewis's colleagues at Madgalen had suggested to him that "Oyarses"
                  was a corruption of "Ousiarches" from Pseudo-Apuleius. Besides, the
                  reference noted by John Rateliff to Ch.22 of Out of the Silent Planet,
                  Lewis seems to be also translating from him at the end of the Postscript.

                  Lewis refers to Silvestris in a number of his academic works (see Bernardus
                  Silvestris in the Indices), including Studies in Medieval and Renaissance
                  Literature, The Discarded Image, Studies in Words, A Preface to Paradise
                  Lost, and The Allegory of Love, in which he devotes several pages (90-98
                  in my edition) to Bernardus. He also includes a quote from him at the
                  beginning of Book 10 of A Pilgrim's Regress.

                  There is a convenient translation of the Cosmographia in the Columbia
                  Records of Civilization series (1973) and an edition of the Latin text
                  by Peter Dronke (1978).

                  Romuald (Ronnie) I. Lakowski

                  > Check the last chapter of OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET, where 'Ransom'
                  > writes to CSL himself for more information about Bernardus
                  > Silvestris' use of the word OYARSES.
                  >
                  > --JDR
                  >

                  > On Feb 5, 2007, at 2:01 PM, lakowskir wrote:
                  >
                  > > Try looking at the entry for "Oyarsa" in Wikipedia,
                  > > which suggests that it is derived via Bernard
                  > > Silvestris's Cosmographia ultimately from the
                  > > Greek "ousiarches" or "lords of being."
                  > > Lewis if I remember rightly refers to Silvestris
                  > > somewhere in the Space Trilogy but I can't
                  > > remember where.

                • John D Rateliff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 16 9:43 PM
                    Happened to catch a snippet of the House debate on the non-binding
                    resolution today, and tickled to see that one Rep. Mike Pence
                    (Republican of Indiana) quoted from C. S. Lewis in his speech
                    opposing the measure (I didn't recognize the quote; something about
                    courage). Does this mean he's becoming ubiquitous?
                    --JDR
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 17 8:52 AM
                      I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis," and "resolution," and I
                      found the following news story:

                      _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224_
                      (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=58224)
                      The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                      C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of
                      every virtue at the testing point."
                      Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_. The one
                      place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says that it's in the
                      28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find it in the
                      29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in difference editions?

                    • kim4fsu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 17 9:12 AM

                        > I just did a Google on "Mike Pence," "C. S. Lewis,"
                        and "resolution," and I
                        > found the following news story:
                        >

                        > _http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                        DocumentID=58224_
                        > (http://mikepence.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?
                        DocumentID=58224)
                        > The quotation from Lewis is the following:
                        > C. S. Lewis said "courage is not simply one of the virtues, but
                        the form of
                        > every virtue at the testing point."
                        > Further Googling tells me that it's in _The Screwtape Letters_.
                        The one
                        > place where a webpage mentions where it's at in that book says
                        that it's in the
                        > 28th letter. Flipping through my copy of the book though, I find
                        it in the
                        > 29th letter. Does the numbering of the letters differ in
                        difference editions?
                        > Wendell Wagner

                        Kim here - and this is my first post to this group after lurking a
                        while, so, please bear with me!

                        I have an old, ratty paperback version of Screwtape - which was the
                        first of CS Lewis's works I read as a child after finishing Narnia -
                        and the quote is in the 29th letter. I checked my new version of his
                        signature classices, and it's in the 29th letter there, as well. I
                        can't imagine any version changing the numbering.

                        And, no matter which side you're on in the war debate - isn't this a
                        great quote to use? It's always encouraging to me when
                        contemporaries seek wisdom from great thinkers and writers.

                        Kim Jaudon