Hobbit Facsimile Edition

  • lakowskir
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
      I have a question for the group about the hardcover
      "Hobbit: 70th Anniversary Edition" published by
      Harper Collins in August 2001 (available on both
      Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk). The edition is described as

      Facsimile First Ed. edition (320 pages)

      Does anyone actually own this edition?

      Is this really what it appears to be: a fascimile
      reproduction of the 1937 edition complete with
      the original text (including the original "Riddles
      in the Dark" Chapter (ch.5) and the original
      black and white illustrations. Does it include any
      of the colour plates included in the first American
      Edition.

      I am puzzled by the reference to the "70th Anniversary"
      which won't occur until September of this year, unless
      it refers to the time when Tolkien is first supposed to
      have started composing "The Hobbit"?

      Can anyone shed any light on this?

      Romuald (Ronnie) Lakowski
      Edmonton, Canada
    • Jeremy Edmonds
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
        Hi Romauld,

        I don't have a copy in front of me to check, so I forwarded your question to
        the following message board where it will likely get an answer sometime today.

        http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=91

        I hope this helps!
        Jeremy

        --
        Rown's Books
        * Tolkien, SF&F and more *
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2007
          Thanks for forwarding my request. I checked the message board
          and it turns out that it is actually a reprint of the 1991/1995
          edition, which I already own. I guess it was too good to be
          true.

          Romuald (not Romauld) or Ronnie (if you prefer) Lakowski
          (Pronounced either "romwald" or "rom-oo-ald" or "rom-u-ald")
          Edmonton, Canada