Just saw "Pan's Labyrinth"

  • sundstromlinda
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
      And I was stunned. From the trailers, it seemed a true fantasy -
      creatures big and small. But the movie is a violent potrayal of war,
      with vidid torture scenes and very nasty villains. I was not prepared
      for this. One of my friends had her eyes covered for about a fourth of
      the movie.
      It's up for several awards. Hmmm . . .

      Anyone else see it? Have an opinion?

      Linda
      Lothlorien Group
    • jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
        Linda,

        I haven't seen it yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. The trailers I
        saw made it look intriguing, but if there's graphic torture then it's
        not the film for me. Has anyone else seen this one?

        Thanks for the heads-up.

        Jane

        At 07:15 PM 2/3/2007, you wrote:

        >And I was stunned. From the trailers, it seemed a true fantasy -
        >creatures big and small. But the movie is a violent potrayal of war,
        >with vidid torture scenes and very nasty villains. I was not prepared
        >for this. One of my friends had her eyes covered for about a fourth of
        >the movie.
        >It's up for several awards. Hmmm . . .
        >
        >Anyone else see it? Have an opinion?
        >
        >Linda
        >Lothlorien Group

      • Joshua Kronengold
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
          jane Bigelow writes:
          >I haven't seen it yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. The trailers I
          >saw made it look intriguing, but if there's graphic torture then it's
          >not the film for me. Has anyone else seen this one?

          I've seen it. It's fairly brutal in bits, but there isn't really
          graphic torture per se (before and after the torture, well, yes).
          There are some fairly disturbing scenes, though.

          It -is- very well done.

          --
          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
          --^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
            I have seen it. I had read a review which alluded to the violence, so I was not surprised. I found the film quite stunning visually and would actually like to see it again for some further analysis.

            To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.comFrom: mneme@...: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 10:58:56 -0600Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Just saw "Pan's Labyrinth"

            jane Bigelow writes:>I haven't seen it yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. The trailers I >saw made it look intriguing, but if there's graphic torture then it's >not the film for me. Has anyone else seen this one?I've seen it. It's fairly brutal in bits, but there isn't reallygraphic torture per se (before and after the torture, well, yes).There are some fairly disturbing scenes, though.It -is- very well done.-- Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)--^-- "Did you know, if you increment enough, you /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'/\\ get an extra digit?" "I knew," weeps Six. |,4- ) )-,_ ) /\ /-\\\ "We knew. But we had forgotten." '---''(_/--' (_/-'

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2007
              In a message dated 2/5/2007 10:57:20 AM Central Standard Time,
              jbigelow@... writes:
              Linda,

              I haven't seen it yet, and now I'm not sure I want to. The trailers I
              saw made it look intriguing, but if there's graphic torture then it's
              not the film for me. Has anyone else seen this one?

              Thanks for the heads-up.

              Jane
              ---------

              I thought it was one of the most amazing, beautiful, powerful films I've ever
              ever seen. And yes, I had my hands over my eyes and my thumbs covering my
              ears through about a quarter of it. Very horrifying in parts, but necessary in a
              way. But again, I realized as I was watching it that it was one of the
              greatest films I'd seen. (Caveat being I'm in no way a film buff or film critic but
              merely a viewer.)

              Grace Walker Monk