Re: [mythsoc] Fw: Tolkien's desk

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
      Yes, the desk was given to JRRT by Edith T. in 1927; Tolkien donated
      it to the charity Help the Aged in 1972. In his accompanying letter
      he stated that The Hobbit and Books III - VI of LotR were written on
      it. Both letter and desk are on display in the same room, just past
      the reception desk, along with Lewis's table and other Wade
      collection author artifacts (Tolkien's pipe, Sayer's glasses).
      Tolkien's statement that The Hobbit was 'entirely produced' on it is
      one of the many pieces of evidence that help establish when he began
      and finished that work (i.e., in this case not before 1927).
      --JDR

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
        I do not recall seeing the desk before the Wade's new building opened in 2001. They may well have had it for a long time, but been unable to display it due to lack of room. For many years Lewis's breakfast table, now also on display in the museum, was the Wade's work table, as there was no room for anything else. I typed what became the master files of my edition of _The Masques of Amen House_ into my laptop computer on that table in 1995.

        David Bratman

        >I don't know what year the Wade acquired it; it was not there when I
        >first visited in 1983.

      • Elena Rossi
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
          --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

          > P.S.: The desk is mentioned, but not pictured or
          > detailed, at http://
          > www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/collection/resources.html

          (de-lurking)
          There are pictures of it at