RE: [mythsoc] Fw: Tolkien's desk

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
      Yes, I believe that's the one, though they don't seem to have any
      information on their website about it. (But I'm glad to see they have
      redesigned their website - lots more information now!
      http://www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/ AND there's now an index to Seven
      http://www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/seven/SevenIndexThruVol22_Tankard_Web.
      pdf ).

      But I think there's also something about this in a letter or biography
      somewhere.

      Janet

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
        Tolkien donated the desk to a charity auction in the late 1960s. The buyer in turn deeded it to the Wade Center. It's sitting in their museum section along with C.S. Lewis's breakfast table. It's small, beaten-up, not impressive looking, but it does have this pedigree, and a letter by Tolkien (under glass on the desk, IIRC) testifying to his use of it and stating the donation.

        David Bratman
      • John D Rateliff
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
          Yes, the desk was given to JRRT by Edith T. in 1927; Tolkien donated
          it to the charity Help the Aged in 1972. In his accompanying letter
          he stated that The Hobbit and Books III - VI of LotR were written on
          it. Both letter and desk are on display in the same room, just past
          the reception desk, along with Lewis's table and other Wade
          collection author artifacts (Tolkien's pipe, Sayer's glasses).
          Tolkien's statement that The Hobbit was 'entirely produced' on it is
          one of the many pieces of evidence that help establish when he began
          and finished that work (i.e., in this case not before 1927).
          --JDR

          On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Edith.Crowe@... wrote:
          > Refresh my memory, folks--is this the one that's at the Wade Center?
          > ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 01/29/2007 08:55 AM -----
          >
          > kkaczmar@...
          > 01/28/2007 06:34 PM

          > correspondence@...
          > cc
          >
          > Subject
          > Tolkien's desk
          >

          > Hello
          >
          > I'm writing from Poland. Would you be so kind and aid me with this
          > information:
          >
          > Who and in what year have given J.R.R.Tolkien his desk, on which "The
          > Hobbit" had been written? And what Tolkien did later with this desk
          > (he
          > gave it to someone, but who was it? and in what year?)
          >
          > Thanks in advance (I'll understand if you won't answer me, I know
          > that is
          > not very important)
          >
          > Krzysztof
        • John D Rateliff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
            P.S.: The desk is mentioned, but not pictured or detailed, at http://
            www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/collection/resources.html

            I don't know what year the Wade acquired it; it was not there when I
            first visited in 1983.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
              I do not recall seeing the desk before the Wade's new building opened in 2001. They may well have had it for a long time, but been unable to display it due to lack of room. For many years Lewis's breakfast table, now also on display in the museum, was the Wade's work table, as there was no room for anything else. I typed what became the master files of my edition of _The Masques of Amen House_ into my laptop computer on that table in 1995.

              David Bratman

              >I don't know what year the Wade acquired it; it was not there when I
              >first visited in 1983.

            • Elena Rossi
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
                --- John D Rateliff <sacnoth@...> wrote:

                > P.S.: The desk is mentioned, but not pictured or
                > detailed, at http://
                > www.wheaton.edu/wadecenter/collection/resources.html

                (de-lurking)
                There are pictures of it at