Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien and Julian of Norwich

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
      I'm in a rush and had meant to respond to this thread earlier,
      but....Julian's statement is not unique in patristic and medieval
      thought. More to the point though, Iluvatar's statement to Ulmo
      mentioned by the original poster has more in common with
      Augustine's City of God and other places where he speaks of even
      those who intend things for evil will have those things turned for
      our good. This is in part based on Romans 8:28 in the New
      Testament. That is, I doubt very much that Julian is a direct
      source or inspiration for the passage in question.

      On the question of whether Tolkien had read Julian of Norwich, I'd
      have to say that yes he did, though I have no proof for it. But
      for someone who worked on the texts that he did and produced a
      Middle English glossary for the 14th century to have overlooked a
      well known and widely available text boggles my mind. That isn't
      to say that he was intimate with the text or studied/taught it
      frequently, but just to say that given his field and his work, the
      probability is high that he had at least read Julian of Norwich.

      I'll have to return to the question of the influence of the Ancrene
      Wisse and the Katherine Group on Julian......

      Larry Swain