Re: Tolkien and Julian of Norwich

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
      You're probably right, and yet on the same page (742) of the
      _Reader's Guide_, Scull and Hammond quote another of Tolkien's
      students, Robert Burchfield, from "My Hero: Robert Burchfield on
      J.R.R. Tolkien":

      "I saw Tollers (as he was known) at weekly intervals in the academic
      years 1951-2 and 1952-3, sometimes in Merton College, sometimes at
      his home in Holywell. He puffed at his pipe while I told him of my
      work. He made many acute observations. I followed them all up. He
      beamed when I made some discoveries. Now and then he mentioned the
      hobbits, but he didn't press them on me, spotting that my interest
      lay in the scraped-out o's and double consonants of the _Ormulum_
      rather than in dwarves... Orcs, and Mr Bilbo Baggins."

      >---David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      > At 04:01 AM 1/24/2007 +0000, Merlin DeTardo wrote:
      >>In a long entry on the "Oxford English School", they note that in
      1946 Tolkien supervised John Lawlor's thesis on Julian. Is Lawlor
      still alive? He could say whether Tolkien ever mentioned
      the "Ainulindalë" in connection with Julian.

      > Tending to doubt Tolkien would have been discussing his mythology
      with his grad students under such circumstances.
      >-David Bratman
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...>
        wrote:

        > Without pretending to be comprehensive, I can at least offer
        some
        > negative responses. Based on their indices, there are no
        references
        > to Julian of Norwich in the _J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia_ or
        the
        > collections _Tolkien the Medievalist_, _Tolkien and the
        Invention of
        > Myth_ or _Tolkien's Modern Middle Ages_. .....

        However, I find it difficult to believe that Tolkien would not
        have read Julian (or any other Middle English author)at some
        time: and although I'm not very conversant with the Ancrene
        Wisse nor with the related St Catherine group of manuscripts, I
        wouldn't be surprised if they influenced Julian to a certain
        extent; some recent feminist scholars have postulated a female
        textual tradition in medieval England, copying and circulating
        these feminine texts among convents and anchoresses.

        On the other hand, Julian naturally could not have influenced
        the AW, and the East Anglian dialect of Middle English was not
        Tolkien's particular speciality. Googling Julian, the Cloud of
        Unknowing, and Margery Kempe, I can't find any edition by a
        scholar associated with Tolkien.

        Does anyone know whether Julian was an influence on Cardinal
        Newman's theology? I'm inclined to doubt it, since the
        impression I get of Oratory Catholicism is that it tended to
        regard Mertonish mysticism with some suspicion - certainly Lewis
        the "Newmanite Anglican" did.
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
          I'm in a rush and had meant to respond to this thread earlier,
          but....Julian's statement is not unique in patristic and medieval
          thought. More to the point though, Iluvatar's statement to Ulmo
          mentioned by the original poster has more in common with
          Augustine's City of God and other places where he speaks of even
          those who intend things for evil will have those things turned for
          our good. This is in part based on Romans 8:28 in the New
          Testament. That is, I doubt very much that Julian is a direct
          source or inspiration for the passage in question.

          On the question of whether Tolkien had read Julian of Norwich, I'd
          have to say that yes he did, though I have no proof for it. But
          for someone who worked on the texts that he did and produced a
          Middle English glossary for the 14th century to have overlooked a
          well known and widely available text boggles my mind. That isn't
          to say that he was intimate with the text or studied/taught it
          frequently, but just to say that given his field and his work, the
          probability is high that he had at least read Julian of Norwich.

          I'll have to return to the question of the influence of the Ancrene
          Wisse and the Katherine Group on Julian......

          Larry Swain