Letters to/from Tolkien (was Re: happiness/unhappiness)

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
      It appears also that over the ensuing quarter-century a fair
      number of JRRT's letters to readers have come to light at
      Sothbys and eBay and whatnot; many of those I would expect to be
      of the sort of "answers to inquiries" that are in the existing
      volume, and some at least of the current owners might agree to
      contribute copies to a new edition.

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply, Wayne, and it's good to know the
      suggestion is still being run up the flagpole. Please don't give
      up, and do let us know if there's anything any of us can do to
      help (e.g., perhaps if enough of us contacted the Estate or the
      publisher to echo our support for the idea, with the promise to
      buy it once it comes out, that might help). I'm very curious
      about the sales of the Lewis letters, too. If they do well, this
      could be another argument for an expanded edition of Tolkien's;
      OTOH, if they do poorly, this might be the final nail in the
      coffin. Then again, the first two volumes of Lewis have gone to
      softcover, and the appearance of a third in hardcover would also
      seem to suggest they're doing well.

      > Jason Fisher
      >
      > --- Wayne G. Hammond wrote:
      > Christina and I would love to produce a second, enlarged
      edition. Many more
      > letters do exist, though Humphrey and Christopher tried to
      include, within
      > a limited number of pages, most of those concerned with
      Tolkien's fiction,