Re: Letters to/from Tolkien (was Re: happiness/unhappiness)

  • Jason Fisher
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
      Thanks for the reply, Wayne, and it's good to know the suggestion is still being run up the flagpole. Please don't give up, and do let us know if there's anything any of us can do to help (e.g., perhaps if enough of us contacted the Estate or the publisher to echo our support for the idea, with the promise to buy it once it comes out, that might help). I'm very curious about the sales of the Lewis letters, too. If they do well, this could be another argument for an expanded edition of Tolkien's; OTOH, if they do poorly, this might be the final nail in the coffin. Then again, the first two volumes of Lewis have gone to softcover, and the appearance of a third in hardcover would also seem to suggest they're doing well.

      Jason Fisher

      --- Wayne G. Hammond wrote:
      Christina and I would love to produce a second, enlarged edition. Many more
      letters do exist, though Humphrey and Christopher tried to include, within
      a limited number of pages, most of those concerned with Tolkien's fiction,
      or pertinent extracts, on the grounds that those would be of most interest
      to the greatest number of readers. A lot of correspondence between Tolkien
      and his publishers, for instance, and about Tolkien's academic career, was
      omitted: Christina and I have quoted from many of these letters in our
      books. But one would have to convince those who make decisions about what
      Tolkien books to publish that there are enough good letters to warrant a
      new edition, and also that such a book would sell well enough to recoup the
      investment. Tolkien's _Letters_ has never been a big seller (it's said that
      92% of the first American printing was remaindered) , though it seems to
      make respectable money as a backlist title, in paperback. I wonder how well
      the Lewis letters have been selling?

      Anyway, we've suggested a new edition to HarperCollins from time to time,
      and will continue to do so. Our new index (in 2000) seems to have helped it
      along also.
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 18, 2007
        It appears also that over the ensuing quarter-century a fair
        number of JRRT's letters to readers have come to light at
        Sothbys and eBay and whatnot; many of those I would expect to be
        of the sort of "answers to inquiries" that are in the existing
        volume, and some at least of the current owners might agree to
        contribute copies to a new edition.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jason Fisher <visualweasel@...>