Literature Abuse

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
      Well, I can remember getting up as a kid, getting ready to go to school.

      The glasses went on first. The book was laid out, open, on the dresser while
      I got into my underwear and other items, bending over and reading.

      Then it was time for shoes and socks: I sat down in my chair, and the book
      was transferred to the floor beside me, so I could grab a few more sentences
      while putting =those= on.

      They didn't let me bring it to breakfast >:(

      Mary S
    • qiena@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
        I have been known to read while walking down the street, taking a shower
        (tricky), and waiting at stoplights. I promise I don't read while actually
        driving, but admit to the temptation.

        Sharon

        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Christian Realists~ x-real.firinn.org
        :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        "The Man who cannot wonder, who does not habitually wonder, is but a Pair of
        Spectacles behind which
        there is no Eye." ~Thomas Carlyle
      • Juliet Blosser
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2000
          On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 09:39:04PM -0400, Stolzi@... wrote:
          > Well, I can remember getting up as a kid, getting ready to go to school.
          >
          > The glasses went on first. The book was laid out, open, on the dresser while
          > I got into my underwear and other items, bending over and reading.
          >
          > Then it was time for shoes and socks: I sat down in my chair, and the book
          > was transferred to the floor beside me, so I could grab a few more sentences
          > while putting =those= on.
          >
          > They didn't let me bring it to breakfast >:(

          I remember my mom yelling at me for reading while walking. "You're
          going to trip and fall!" "You're going to ruin your eyes!" "You're
          going to run into someone!" Fortunately I never had a problem with
          any of those things :)

          I also remember reading with a flashlight under my blankets in bed
          when I was supposed to be asleep. Many times I stayed up almost all
          night, always being careful to aim the flashlight beam away from the
          crack under the door. Since my husband is a fellow literature abuser,
          I no longer have to sneak around. In fact, he was the last one in
          our house to stay up all night finishing a book (one of the Ender
          series).
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 12, 2000
            You knew you were sending this to an e-list that is an enabler,
            didn't you? <vbeg> Good.

            That being said. About the heredity problem. Yep, did that. My
            daughter is also an LA, and she is given the nasty habit to her
            children. The children's books are overtaking their small bedroom.
            My 5 year old grandson reads to his 2 year old brother. Her husband
            is a big reader, too.

            My 11 year old son has to clean all the books out of his bed once a
            week, and we gave up and gave him a reading light he can turn off
            from bed. At ten o'clock, we advise him of the time, get a "Do I
            gotta?" whine, and then, usually, the light goes out. Sometimes we
            give him to the end of the chapter if he only has a page or two.

            As for the adiction list at the end, guilty as charged <g>. Of
            course, most of the parties I go to are at houses of people who have
            books. Taking them off of bookcases and reading is not unexpected.

            Our house is wall to wall to ceiling books, with the occasional spot
            of art work.

            Just back from our trip to Hawaii. Yep, bought more books. And am
            reading and replying to this from e-groups. (slowww reading).

            Mythically yours,

            Lisa