few new books

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2007
      As anyone seen, or heard anything about, these two books, which I
      just came across on amazon?

      THE LORD OF THE RINGS: POPULAR CULTURE IN GLOBAL CONTEXT by Ernest
      Mathijs (due to be published on Jan.30th),

      and

      FROM HOBBITS TO HOLLYWOOD: ESSAYS ON PETER JACKSON'S LORD OF THE
      RINGS (CONTEMPORARY CINEMA 3) (published back on August 24th).

      Both books seem to be horribly expensive ($75 and $115 hardcover, $25
      & $52 paperback, respectively), which makes me suspect they're
      intended for use in courses on contemporary cinema by film students
      (e.g., effectively textbooks). I haven't heard of Mathijs before, nor
      any of the contributors to the second book (unless the "Kirsten Moana
      Thompson" in the latter is Kristen Thompson, longtime Univ. of Wisc.
      Tolkien Society member who's writing a book about the films, which
      seems unlikely), but then it's not my field. At any rate, those who
      found TOLKIEN ON FILM interesting might want to check these out.

      Also finally getting a chance to glance through A. N. Wilson's
      BETJEMAN, which arrived some time ago. Surprised to find how
      important the quarrel with Lewis was for Betjeman, who maintained for
      years afterwards (with some justice) that CSL ruined his life. Hard
      not to agree with Wilson's assessment that it's a pity the two men
      ever crossed each other's path; they seem to have brought out the
      worst in each other.

      Finally, saving the best for last, I've now begun reading OWEN
      BARFIELD: A BIOGRAPHY by Simon Blaxland de Lange, the best of this
      year's Christmas presents. It's the first time anyone's ever written
      about Barfield from a point of view sympathetic to Anthroposophy,
      which wd be rather like CSL being approached for the first time at
      this late date by a critic who thought the role Christianity played
      in his work was worth taking seriously. Best thing about it, from my
      point of view, is that one chapter gives a detailed (forty-page)
      summary and discussion of ENGLISH PEOPLE, the great lost Inklings novel.

      --John R.