Re: Zipes on Stockton, Baum

  • Merlin DeTardo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
      Ah, but don't many modern litarary critics dismiss an author's
      intentions as unimportant? As suggested, for example, in this
      wikipedia entry on "intentional fallacy"?

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_fallacy

      And here's some blogging on the subject by Richard Scott Nokes in
      what started as a discussion of Tolkien (regarding his use of the
      word "weapontake"):

      http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2005/11/intentionally-
      omitted.html

      http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2005/11/intention-what-did-he-
      know-and-when.html

      -Merlin DeTardo

      >---"William Cloud Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:
      >Then again, I seriously doubt most authors intended the political
      content modern litcrit reads into them.
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin DeTardo" <emptyD@...>
        wrote:

        > Ah, but don't many modern litarary critics dismiss an author's
        > intentions as unimportant? As suggested, for example, in this
        > wikipedia entry on "intentional fallacy"?
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentional_fallacy
        >
        > And here's some blogging on the subject by Richard Scott Nokes
        in
        > what started as a discussion of Tolkien (regarding his use of
        the
        > word "weapontake"):
        >
        > http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2005/11/intentionally-
        > omitted.html
        >
        > http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2005/11/intention-what-
        did-he-
        > know-and-when.html

        Quite so- but "many modern literary critics" are full of garden
        fertilizer. Personally, I'll stick with old-fashioned "authors"
        as opposed to deterministic "author functions."