Estella Bolger

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2007
      I may have made a tiny discovery concerning this unwittingly
      notorious hobbit-maid. (For those of you who aren't Total
      Geeks, Estella Bolger was added to the Brandybuck family tree
      as Merry's wife in the Ballantine paperback edition, but
      didn't make it into the hardcover "tradition" until Douglas
      Anderson's corrected text. We Geeks think this is important).
      Anyway, CT alludes to this matter in HME XII.117, pointing out
      that many years after Tolkien prepared the family trees, he
      added Estella to one manuscript of the Bolger tree (BG2), and
      to the Brandybuck tree in one of his copies of RK, with a note
      saying that he had told a correspondent in 1965 that 'I
      believe he married a sister of Fredegar Bolger of the Bolgers
      of Bugefield."

      Well, I believe the actual letter has turned up. I've just
      heard from a fellow who was given the letter by the original
      recipient (New Zealander, a little girl in 1965). The bulk of
      it is a typed secretarial response, but Tolkien added a
      holograph postscript answering her query about Merry's wife,
      saying, "I believe he married a sister of Fredegar (Fatty)
      Bolger, but I will look into the matter," and then mentions
      that he had material on the Bolgers which was excluded for
      lack for space.

      Can this be any other than the letter referenced in PME? Note
      the "I will look into it" locution- with JRRT that often means
      "I'll have to invent something." I would venture that at the
      time he was making the revisions for Ballantine, and added
      Estella (query: do Ballantine's archives have these papers?)