Re: The LR Second Edition

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "William Cloud
      Hicklin" <solicitr@...> wrote:

      > Thaks, Wayne.

      As well as thanks. :)
    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
        William Cloud Hicklin wrote:

        >A question on a trivial matter: what is the "correct" name for
        >that edition?
        >
        >On my "1965" H-M (Quackenbush covers), the title page reads
        >"Second Edition," the dustjacket reads "Revised Edition," and
        >the front flap reads "Second Edition, Revised!"

        There's no one "correct" name for it. In the Descriptive Bibliography I
        call it the "second Houghton Mifflin edition", as distinct from the "second
        Allen & Unwin edition", the Ballantine "revised edition", etc., and because
        "second edition" in the tortuous publication history of The Lord of the
        Rings could mean not only any one of these, but also the Ace Books edition
        (a new typesetting except for the Appendices) and even the Allen & Unwin
        Fellowship from the (reset) "second printing" onward.

        The trick in all this is to distinguish "edition" in bibliographical terms
        (a wholly or substantially new typesetting) from "edition" in publishers'
        terms (any kind of marketing construct) and from "edition" in the textual
        sense, as when we refer to the "first edition text" and "second edition
        text" of LR.

        Wayne

      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne G.
          Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...> wrote:

          > and from "edition" in the textual
          > sense, as when we refer to the "first edition text" and "second
          edition
          > text" of LR.

          Okay-- but then (just to keep things confusing)- even in this
          third (authorial) definition, which I think is the operative one,
          can we meaningfully define the ur-Second Edition as "what Tolkien
          intended in 1965"? Or do the many errors that persisted, and
          CRT's periodic "consistency" emendations, obviate such a
          definition? And is it sensible to refer to the first Anderson as
          the "3rd Edition" and your 50th as the "4th Edition", in the same
          way that one hears of the "4th Edition" Hobbit- texts attempting
          to restore a theoretical pre-existing state, rather than create a
          new state?