Re: The Beowulf translation

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
      wrote:

      > On a specific note, read http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/
      archive.php?view=0&show=&file=essays/drout37_3.txt

      > I note as you do that Mike has removed his comments, but the
      essential story is still on the blog: controversy and
      misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com apparently created some
      bad press and concern.

      Yes, I see now- the Fourth Estate, maintaining its well-deserved
      reputation..........

      Prof. Drout needed to master the lawyerly art of deniability-
      making sure that reporter misunderstands you in precisely the way
      you *want* to be (mis)understood. Some lawyers are very, very
      good at this. For a pertinent example, (re)read

      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/02/24/
      botolk24.xml&sSheet=/arts/2003/02/24/ixartright.html
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>

        >controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com

        But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
        gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
        thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
        had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
        believe a word of it.
      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007

          > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
          >

          > > controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com
          >
          > But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
          > gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
          > thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
          > had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
          > believe a word of it.

          Apparently not...but then I don't have a lot of info to go on, just what I read from Drout. Perhaps if enough fans and scholars alike asked the Estate to allow the project to go on, we'd get somewhere, but then that also might make them disinclined to be helpful Who knows?

          Larry Swain

          Search for products and services at:
          http://search.mail.com