Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Beowulf translation

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
      Hey, I'm on vacation, I don't have to think for five whole days yet!!!

      Ok, seriously, I don't know what the time frame has to do with it. Beowulf and the Critics was published in 2002, The Two Towers came out at Christmas 2002. On a general note, I know of no scholar who when one project is at press isn't already neck deep in the next project and has material in various stages of production on the next 2 or 3 projects. So I'm not at all sure why the general timeline I gave isn't applicable.

      On a specific note, read http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/archive.php?view=0&show=&file=essays/drout37_3.txt

      I note as you do that Mike has removed his comments, but the essential story is still on the blog: controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com apparently created some bad press and concern.

      I found the following doing a google search to find the entry in Mike's blog:
      http://lady-branwyn.livejournal.com/41857.html
      http://www.tolkiensociety.org/news/news0.html

    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
        wrote:

        > On a specific note, read http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/
        archive.php?view=0&show=&file=essays/drout37_3.txt

        > I note as you do that Mike has removed his comments, but the
        essential story is still on the blog: controversy and
        misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com apparently created some
        bad press and concern.

        Yes, I see now- the Fourth Estate, maintaining its well-deserved
        reputation..........

        Prof. Drout needed to master the lawyerly art of deniability-
        making sure that reporter misunderstands you in precisely the way
        you *want* to be (mis)understood. Some lawyers are very, very
        good at this. For a pertinent example, (re)read

        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/02/24/
        botolk24.xml&sSheet=/arts/2003/02/24/ixartright.html
      • William Cloud Hicklin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>

          >controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com

          But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
          gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
          thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
          had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
          believe a word of it.
        • Larry Swain
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007

            > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
            >

            > > controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com
            >
            > But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
            > gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
            > thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
            > had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
            > believe a word of it.

            Apparently not...but then I don't have a lot of info to go on, just what I read from Drout. Perhaps if enough fans and scholars alike asked the Estate to allow the project to go on, we'd get somewhere, but then that also might make them disinclined to be helpful Who knows?

            Larry Swain