Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Beowulf translation

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
      As memory serves from Mike's blog and an article in OEN, I believe the issue revolved around some statements that Mike was misreported as saying around the time of the movies, and these misstatements made it around the Internet and created a minor teapot tempest that got back to the Estate and created concern, enough to pull the plug. So sad too--Mike is great for such a project and it would be a great service to both fans and the field of Beowulf studies.

      Larry Swain

      > > Does anyone know whatever happened to Mike Drout's edition of
      > > Tolkien's translation of Beowulf?
      >
      > The last I heard -- and this is basically gossip, and *old* gossip
      > at that, so please treat it as such -- was that Mike had somehow
      > offended or irritated Christopher (or "confusticated and
      > bebothered" him maybe, hehe), who had responded by revoking his
      > (i.e., the Estate's) permission for the project to proceed. I'm not
      > sure what the offense was or whether Christopher's response was
      > justified, so I can't comment any further on that. The last time I
      > asked Mike about it (quite a long time back, around the end of
      > 2004), he said he felt confident they'd be able to work it out at
      > some point. Now that the Encyclopedia has been completed, it might
      > be time to inquire with Mike again ...
      >
      > Jason Fisher

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Search for products and services at:
      http://search.mail.com

      Powered by Outblaze
    • William Cloud Hicklin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
        That's really a pity- not just because the project is on
        indefinite hold, but because it's painful in the way that two
        friends' divorce is painful. From his blog Mike Drout seems to
        be a nice enough guy, but on the other hand CRT is hardly an
        ogre.

        I can't google up any of this "teapot tempest"- in any event,
        "about the time of the movies" seems too early, given the
        publication of Beowulf and the Critics during that time-frame.
        Can you point me to anything? (I note that Mike has tactfully
        removed from his blog anything relevant).

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
        wrote:

        > As memory serves from Mike's blog and an article in OEN, I
        believe the issue revolved around some statements that Mike was
        misreported as saying around the time of the movies, and these
        misstatements made it around the Internet and created a minor
        teapot tempest that got back to the Estate and created concern,
        enough to pull the plug. So sad too--Mike is great for such a
        project and it would be a great service to both fans and the
        field of Beowulf studies.

        > Larry Swain
        >

        > > > Does anyone know whatever happened to Mike Drout's edition
        of
        > > > Tolkien's translation of Beowulf?
        > >
        > > The last I heard -- and this is basically gossip, and *old*
        gossip
        > > at that, so please treat it as such -- was that Mike had
        somehow
        > > offended or irritated Christopher (or "confusticated and
        > > bebothered" him maybe, hehe), who had responded by revoking
        his
        > > (i.e., the Estate's) permission for the project to proceed.
        I'm not
        > > sure what the offense was or whether Christopher's response
        was
        > > justified, so I can't comment any further on that. The last
        time I
        > > asked Mike about it (quite a long time back, around the end
        of
        > > 2004), he said he felt confident they'd be able to work it
        out at
        > > some point. Now that the Encyclopedia has been completed, it
        might
        > > be time to inquire with Mike again ...
        > >
        > > Jason Fisher

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > Search for products and services at:
        > http://search.mail.com
        >
        > Powered by Outblaze

      • Larry Swain
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
          Hey, I'm on vacation, I don't have to think for five whole days yet!!!

          Ok, seriously, I don't know what the time frame has to do with it. Beowulf and the Critics was published in 2002, The Two Towers came out at Christmas 2002. On a general note, I know of no scholar who when one project is at press isn't already neck deep in the next project and has material in various stages of production on the next 2 or 3 projects. So I'm not at all sure why the general timeline I gave isn't applicable.

          On a specific note, read http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/archive.php?view=0&show=&file=essays/drout37_3.txt

          I note as you do that Mike has removed his comments, but the essential story is still on the blog: controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com apparently created some bad press and concern.

          I found the following doing a google search to find the entry in Mike's blog:
          http://lady-branwyn.livejournal.com/41857.html
          http://www.tolkiensociety.org/news/news0.html

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2007
            wrote:

            > On a specific note, read http://www.oenewsletter.org/OEN/
            archive.php?view=0&show=&file=essays/drout37_3.txt

            > I note as you do that Mike has removed his comments, but the
            essential story is still on the blog: controversy and
            misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com apparently created some
            bad press and concern.

            Yes, I see now- the Fourth Estate, maintaining its well-deserved
            reputation..........

            Prof. Drout needed to master the lawyerly art of deniability-
            making sure that reporter misunderstands you in precisely the way
            you *want* to be (mis)understood. Some lawyers are very, very
            good at this. For a pertinent example, (re)read

            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2003/02/24/
            botolk24.xml&sSheet=/arts/2003/02/24/ixartright.html
          • William Cloud Hicklin
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007
              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>

              >controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com

              But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
              gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
              thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
              had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
              believe a word of it.
            • Larry Swain
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2007

                > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Swain" <theswain@...>
                >

                > > controversy and misquotation specifically on Slashdot.com
                >
                > But of course Slashdot is the *absolute worst* when it comes to
                > gossip, scuttlebutt, and counterfactual bilge. I would have
                > thought that in light of the personally malicious scat they've
                > had to endure from that forum the Estate would know not to
                > believe a word of it.

                Apparently not...but then I don't have a lot of info to go on, just what I read from Drout. Perhaps if enough fans and scholars alike asked the Estate to allow the project to go on, we'd get somewhere, but then that also might make them disinclined to be helpful Who knows?

                Larry Swain