Arkenstone/Silmaril

  • John D Rateliff
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
      On Jan 1, 2007, at 2:23 PM, William Cloud Hicklin wrote:
      > Wild-hare speculation: was there ever a passing identification
      > of the Arkenstone with the Silmaril (eorclanstane) of Maidros?
      > The descriptions are not dissimilar; and the Arkenstone rather
      > singularly appears to be a light-source in "Not At Home."

      No explicit link, but a host of associations. I've written an essay
      laying out the pros and cons ("The Arkenstone as Silmaril"), which'll
      be appearing in Vol. II. There are problems in that here as elsewhere
      Tolkien seems to have wanted to keep all his options open when
      drafting THE HOBBIT, so he often borrows material from the older
      legends without committing himself to whether it's exactly the same
      item, place, or character or merely an analogue (the ideal example is
      The Elvenking). By the time of the published book most but not all of
      these sort out on the analogue side.
      For a good brief account of the Silmaril/Arkenstone question, see
      THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT (revised edition) page 294.
      Jason, I'd be interested in seeing your trimmed paragraph on the
      point if you'd like to post it sometime.

      --JDR

      current reading: The Book of Job; ISLAM: A SHORT HISTORY by Karen
      Armstrong
    • Jason Fisher
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2007
        John,

        > I've written an essay laying out the pros and cons ("The
        > Arkenstone as Silmaril"), which'll be appearing in Vol. II.

        Ah, excellent. Yet another reason (as if we needed more, heh) to look forward to your book.

        > For a good brief account of the Silmaril/Arkenstone question, see
        > THE ANNOTATED HOBBIT (revised edition) page 294.
        > Jason, I'd be interested in seeing your trimmed paragraph on the
        > point if you'd like to post it sometime.

        Sure, and speaking of The Annotated Hobbit, the citation you just gave was in the cut paragraph from my entry as well. I'll get hold of that first draft at home and post the relevant portion within the next evening or two.

        Jason