Re: [mythsoc] The Scull and Hammond _J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
      Jack wrote:

      >Now I'm curious -- why the writer think it was too bloody long?

      I had better say that "bloody long" is my phrase, and looking again at the
      comments we received, although I think that there is some underlying
      distress at the thought of digesting two thick, heavy volumes, I should
      have said that one of our readers complained at length about physical and
      organizational issues -- among much else, that there's no list of topics in
      vol. 2 (the Reader's Guide) to act as an initial guide to coverage, and no
      page headings by topic -- which, he feels, make a long book too
      time-consuming to use. On these particular points, we explained that there
      was unfortunately no room in vol. 2 for a list of topics (the volume had
      reached its page limit for binding), but we had prepared a list and it's
      available on our website; and that we had intended to add page headings,
      but were delayed at the eleventh hour, not least by Christina's unexpected
      heart op, and had no time to create headings for over a thousand pages.
      Other readers have asked for these features too, but more politely, as
      minor quibbles, and don't seem to have been unduly hampered in their use of
      vol. 2 (let alone vol. 1, the Chronology, which has its own navigational
      structure).

      Wayne

    • Wayne G. Hammond
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
        > >... We're very
        > >glad to have this published at last in the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin) as well
        > >as the U.K. (HarperCollins) and, after some seven years, finally off our
        > >plate -- or mostly off our plate.
        >
        >So does this mean you can actually take a break now? Kick back, put your
        >feet up, hang out with the rest of us at a Mythcon or three?

        We're trying to do that as much as possible, but have more writing projects
        we want to pick away at, and The Tolkien Collector to resume, and must also
        take care of a lot of work around the house that we've deferred while
        writing to deadlines. We do get to Mythcon from time to time, most recently
        at Ann Arbor.

        Wayne