The Scull and Hammond _J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
      I received my copy of Scull and Hammond's _J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and
      Guide_ yesterday; I had time to look a bit at the bibliographies in the
      afternoon (in vol. 1) and read several articles (in vol. 2) after a social
      obligation in the evening--specifically, those on the Ace controversy,
      Tolkien's knowledge of languages and invention of languages, C. S. Lewis,
      and W. H. Lewis. The chronology in vol. 1 looks very good--in fact,
      everything looks very good! To quote a recent letter here about something
      else: WOW! Congratulations to Christina and Wayne!

      --Joe
    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
        On Dec 30, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Joe R. Christopher wrote:

        > WOW! Congratulations to Christina and Wayne!

        I second that! Between this new _J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide_
        and the earlier _Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion_, Wayne and
        Christina have produced three _monumental_ works that must be
        regarded as _indispensable_ resources to any Tolkien scholar, and
        guides to any serious fan. They will also serve as a basis for much
        new scholarship and discussion of Tolkien's life and work.

        I hope everyone will reflect a bit on the huge amount of work and
        learning that has gone into these three thick volumes, and send also
        their thanks to Wayne and Christina for it.

        Carl
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
          Joe R. Christopher wrote:

          >I received my copy of Scull and Hammond's _J. R. R. Tolkien Companion and
          >Guide_ yesterday; I had time to look a bit at the bibliographies in the
          >afternoon (in vol. 1) and read several articles (in vol. 2) after a social
          >obligation in the evening--specifically, those on the Ace controversy,
          >Tolkien's knowledge of languages and invention of languages, C. S. Lewis,
          >and W. H. Lewis. The chronology in vol. 1 looks very good--in fact,
          >everything looks very good! To quote a recent letter here about something
          >else: WOW! Congratulations to Christina and Wayne!

          Thanks very much, Joe, and thank also to Carl for his praise. We're very
          glad to have this published at last in the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin) as well
          as the U.K. (HarperCollins) and, after some seven years, finally off our
          plate -- or mostly off our plate. We've begun to field corrections and
          comments, in one case a bitter complaint which boiled down to "your book is
          too bloody long".

          Addenda and corrigenda to the Companion and Guide are being posted
          periodically on our website, recently moved to
          http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond.

          Happy New Year to all,

          Christina and Wayne

        • jack@greenmanreview.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
            Now I'm curious -- why the writer think it was too bloody long?

            Thanks very much, Joe, and thank also to Carl for his praise. We're very
            glad to have this published at last in the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin) as
            well
            as the U.K. (HarperCollins) and, after some seven years, finally off our
            plate -- or mostly off our plate. We've begun to field corrections and
            comments, in one case a bitter complaint which boiled down to "your book
            is
            too bloody long"._
            Now I'm curious -- why the writer think it was too bloody long?,_\
            _,___

          • Oberhelman, D
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
              I second Joe's WOW! I have been dipping into it ever since I arrived shortly before the holidays, and love the attention to detail in both the chronology and the encyclopedic volume. It and the _Reader's Companion_ will be essential reference works for years to come.

              Was the one who made the "too bloody long" comment related to Ted Sandyman?

              David Oberhelman

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                >From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>
                >
                >... We're very
                >glad to have this published at last in the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin) as well
                >as the U.K. (HarperCollins) and, after some seven years, finally off our
                >plate -- or mostly off our plate.

                So does this mean you can actually take a break now? Kick back, put your feet up, hang out with the rest of us at a Mythcon or three?

                emerdavid

                PeoplePC Online
                A better way to Internet
                http://www.peoplepc.com
              • Wayne G. Hammond
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2006
                  Jack wrote:

                  >Now I'm curious -- why the writer think it was too bloody long?

                  I had better say that "bloody long" is my phrase, and looking again at the
                  comments we received, although I think that there is some underlying
                  distress at the thought of digesting two thick, heavy volumes, I should
                  have said that one of our readers complained at length about physical and
                  organizational issues -- among much else, that there's no list of topics in
                  vol. 2 (the Reader's Guide) to act as an initial guide to coverage, and no
                  page headings by topic -- which, he feels, make a long book too
                  time-consuming to use. On these particular points, we explained that there
                  was unfortunately no room in vol. 2 for a list of topics (the volume had
                  reached its page limit for binding), but we had prepared a list and it's
                  available on our website; and that we had intended to add page headings,
                  but were delayed at the eleventh hour, not least by Christina's unexpected
                  heart op, and had no time to create headings for over a thousand pages.
                  Other readers have asked for these features too, but more politely, as
                  minor quibbles, and don't seem to have been unduly hampered in their use of
                  vol. 2 (let alone vol. 1, the Chronology, which has its own navigational
                  structure).

                  Wayne

                • Wayne G. Hammond
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2007
                    > >... We're very
                    > >glad to have this published at last in the U.S. (Houghton Mifflin) as well
                    > >as the U.K. (HarperCollins) and, after some seven years, finally off our
                    > >plate -- or mostly off our plate.
                    >
                    >So does this mean you can actually take a break now? Kick back, put your
                    >feet up, hang out with the rest of us at a Mythcon or three?

                    We're trying to do that as much as possible, but have more writing projects
                    we want to pick away at, and The Tolkien Collector to resume, and must also
                    take care of a lot of work around the house that we've deferred while
                    writing to deadlines. We do get to Mythcon from time to time, most recently
                    at Ann Arbor.

                    Wayne