Re: [mythsoc] The canon and my lousy education

  • jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2006
      Wendell,

      I would've been denied college admission myself if reading even most
      of the items on that list were a prerequisite. Many were not
      required by my high school Way Back Then, so the decline of
      civilization must date back quite awhile. Since I now have my MLS
      and have published nonfiction, short stories and a novel, I guess I
      also recovered!

      It's been decades since I graduated from high school, so I no longer
      recall what I read then and what much later. Can remember thinking
      Jane Austen was a total bore, though I loved the Brontes, which I
      believe I read on my own. It's probably lucky for me that I didn't
      encounter anyone remotely like Heathcliff in my Kansas City, MO neighborhood.

      We did briefly encounter Greek tragedy in my senior year. We weren't
      supposed to look in the back of the book where some of the comedies
      were, but some of us did. Lysistrata was quite a revelation! It did
      keep me from ever thinking of the classics as dusty or dull.

      I do think it's a good idea to be exposed to some things that you
      don't think you'll like. Sometimes you're surprised, as I was when
      my husband dragged me to a talk on medieval civil engineering. I
      just think that a list of such length and complexity is too much to
      expect as a baseline. At the same time, it leaves out too much that
      would help to establish a shared core of (not necessarily accepted)ideas.

      Jane