Re: old favorites and sagging canon

  • William Cloud Hicklin
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 24, 2006
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Michael Reiter
      <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

      > I think we're talking about real time Arab Scholars. Abdul
      Al-Hazred is a fictional character of a H.P. Lovecraft's...
      > As is The Necronomicon, another fictional character in the
      Cthulhu Mythos of Lovecraft's imagining, as well as being a
      fictional artifact...

      No! Really?? </heavy sarcasm>

      > Jonathan Michael Reiter
      > jmr

    • jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 25, 2006
        Wendell,

        I would've been denied college admission myself if reading even most
        of the items on that list were a prerequisite. Many were not
        required by my high school Way Back Then, so the decline of
        civilization must date back quite awhile. Since I now have my MLS
        and have published nonfiction, short stories and a novel, I guess I
        also recovered!

        It's been decades since I graduated from high school, so I no longer
        recall what I read then and what much later. Can remember thinking
        Jane Austen was a total bore, though I loved the Brontes, which I
        believe I read on my own. It's probably lucky for me that I didn't
        encounter anyone remotely like Heathcliff in my Kansas City, MO neighborhood.

        We did briefly encounter Greek tragedy in my senior year. We weren't
        supposed to look in the back of the book where some of the comedies
        were, but some of us did. Lysistrata was quite a revelation! It did
        keep me from ever thinking of the classics as dusty or dull.

        I do think it's a good idea to be exposed to some things that you
        don't think you'll like. Sometimes you're surprised, as I was when
        my husband dragged me to a talk on medieval civil engineering. I
        just think that a list of such length and complexity is too much to
        expect as a baseline. At the same time, it leaves out too much that
        would help to establish a shared core of (not necessarily accepted)ideas.

        Jane